Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood Burning Stove vs Fireplace Insert

Here she is

Last edited by work in progress; 01-24-2012 at 01:49 PM.

For the Love of Cats

My parents had two real fireplaces in their home, one on each floor. although they shared a chimney, so only one could be used at a time. when either one was cranked up, it could clear a room within a couple hours. With a couple fans going, the basement one could easily heat the entire house, and did for many winters.

I have and have used most types of woodstoves over the years, mainly at my, or at my friends cabins.

My current home has a fireplace insert, that was added in after the house was built, so it is a small nub that actually sits outside of the house, with the fireplace flush with the wall, and a hearth sticking in.

I have cooked with both the fireplaces and the insert by just having a pot (cast) sitting in front of the glass door. This bodes well for slow cooked meals, but not so much for quick meals. I have let my fire die down (in my insert) raked the coals to one side, and cooked almost everything you can think of in my wok. Add the odd stick to the other side to keep it going.up to

I have cooked on every type of woodstove I know of, from the old 'tinners' up to the truly fancy ones.

If you are motivated and willing to try, they will all work.

Even without the fan running, my insert will easily heat my entire house, even at -30C ( I tried it )

The only complaint I have with my insert, is that it is technically outside the house, so it isn't as efficient as it could be, and it doesn't breathe quite right.

Other than that, they all will serve a purpose, but match the stove to your home. Op, that's a great looking little stove, and for a UPS truck sized place, it'll be more than enough. If you had 3000 sf with multi levels, not so much!

IMO!

I'll most likely shit myself

Like Sniper said try your best to fit your stove to your house. I didn't quite get that part right. Our house, minus basement, is a little over 1400sq ft, We picked up a Appalachin Wood Stove while we were building. We had the contractor build it into a stone hearth. He was concerned about the weight of the set up and suggested we build a cantilever section using 8" lintels. The lintels were built into the base of the chimney and overhung on the basement block wall. It's worked out great in that regard.
    Our problem is that the stove is rated for 3500 sqft. We can't hardly use it if the temps are above 30. Our first winter's cold spell we fired the stove up and warmed the house right up. Our house has a cathedral ceiling in the living room which opens up into our master bedroom/bathroom. When we went up to go to bed, it must have been at least 90 degrees. We had to open the windows to cool it down. Next morning when we got up it was 83 in the living room. We usually keep our house in the mid 60 thru the winter.
    We did set the stove out about 8" to give us a cooking surface. I's wide enough to put 2-4 pots on, depending on the pot size. Another thing I like about it, if I keep the dampers closed down pretty tight it will burn for about 8 hours on a full load of wood. It is very efficent.

For the Love of Cats

BP... maybe try different wood? Instead of some crazy assed BTU pumping hardwood, mix it up a little in the warmer temps. switch from hickory to a Spruce or something??

I placed a wood-BTU chart into the wood thread, check it out

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

When I refer to the UPS truck......the house without basement is @800+ ...... Our wood stove is rated 900 SF. We feel it'll be a good fit.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

When I refer to the UPS truck......our house without basement is @800+ ...... Our wood stove is rated 900 SF. We feel it'll be a good fit.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

I'll most likely shit myself

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    BP... maybe try different wood? Instead of some crazy assed BTU pumping hardwood, mix it up a little in the warmer temps. switch from hickory to a Spruce or something??

I placed a wood-BTU chart into the wood thread, check it out
    I have burned everything from hickory, oak, maple, and locust to Apple, popular, and hemlock, even a little very dry pine. There is some difference in the heat output, but still way to much. We just have too much stove. Our best way of dealing with it is to just keep 1 or 2 windows open upstairs.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I am for the wood burning stove. I have a Napoleon unit and it heats our house very well with or without the blower on. It is ducted to carry heat to the farthest side of the house from the stove. Installed thick slate flooring which really helps hold and radiate the heat.
    Just curious, do you have radiant heating in your floors?
    I apologize for nothing...

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

just a tip for wood burning stoves, do NOT use the pressed artificial logs from stores... Extremely dangerous as someone i know found out when they found themselves sweating outside, in -4 degree temperatures... the cabin was at a nice and toasty 98 DEGREES... nearly burned the place down...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Bacon Spam

I say wood stove especially if you live in a place where you need heat part of the year, don't buy a cheap one, it will just fill your home with smoke, a good stove might run near $ 2500-3000, and most you could cook on top of......we bought this almost 4 years ago, I don't use my heater in the winter at all, people give away firewood most of the year ( they tend to sell it in the fall ) stock up in the summer and you are ready to go in the late fall, nothing like free heat.