Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood Burning Stove vs Fireplace Insert

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

Wood Burning Stove vs Fireplace Insert

Any thoughts, pro/con, on which you would prefer to have in your home. My only requirement is it has to be wood burning, here is my (limited) knowledge on each.

Wood Burning Fireplace Insert: Puts out alot of heat, but the fan is dependent on electricity which is not a good thing post SHTF. And from what i understand it requires a full fireplace to install.

Wood Burning Stove: Puts out heat and can cook with it if needed. Does not require a fireplace to install.

Like i said, i dont have alot of knowledge on either but im in the process of reading up on each to try and figure out which we are going to install in our home next year.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

Well, if you need a place to cook without electricity then its pretty obvious.

I'll most likely shit myself

We installed a appalachin wood stove wehn we built. It has a fan but works just fine without running it. It is pretty econoomical and burns the wood down to a pretty fine ash. We have it sitting about halfway back in the wall to save space, but still have plenty of room to cook.

Where's the epi?

We put in an insert which burns wood or gas. This was done with looks in mind only. If we lose power it can be used for limited heat near the fireplace only, fireplaces are more "heat suckers" than anything. We wanted a formal look so that was why we decided to go that way. If you have a generator you can hook up the fan to it and still burn wood in a true fireplace but you won't be able to cook in it unless you build one of the huge old fashioned ones that you can hang your cast iron pots but I wouldn't do it personally. So I guess it depends on what use you want out of it. What is more important to you and your family. Our house was too big to heat with a wood burning stove and we were remodeling a house that already had an insert so the place was already there so it was a no brainer for us. Good luck with the decision!

Does not fish with big brother
    I have a LOPI woodburner fireplace insert. It has a coocktop and a blower fan. I ordered it with the 12v blower so in emergency I can run it off a car battery. It is very eficent and works well. And the flat top works good for a stove.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

As I recall, there is a non-electric fan for wood stoves available at Sportsman's Guide. I have zero experience with them but it may bear investigating.

Ecofan Heat - Powered Wood Stove Fan, Furniture & Domestics, Ecofan, Ecofan at Sportsman's Guide
    Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 10-31-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: forgot link
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Does not fish with big brother
    WOW I just went and looked at mine it is a Lopi 4002 freestanding wood stove, looks like an insert. No I got it for free and asumed it was an insert. I weilded legs to the bottom and use it to heat my shop. Just found out they make and sell a pedistal for it lol.

I'll most likely shit myself

Here is the model we have, the insert. We did set it out about 12" from the wall. The opening was built for the stove.

Appalachian Stove - Gas and Wood Stoves - Wood Stoves - 32 XLB

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

As I have seen the layout in your house, I think I would go with the fireplace due to the room being open. You can block off and keep your heat contained to a smaller area. You don't need a blower for that and having a generator will allow you to heat other rooms as needed. Besides we've cooked over open flame enough not to let a cook top decide for you.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

The hot sexy one

I myself would have a free standing stove. In reality cooking on the top is overrated, most stoves produced today have the air box surrounding the stove reducing the heat radiated, unless you buy one specific as cook stove with the old style removable spaces. When using the free standing stove you have the options of surrounding the area with heatsinks. A free standing stove will be cheaper and quicker to install. I would use a min 8" diameter stove pipe to gain additional surface area for more radiant heat. IMO a fireplace is a waste, they are designed for looks and not heating, most heat sails right out the top , ideally the fireplace should be designed to heat the stone quickly , thus allowing the radiant heat from the stone to heat the area.
    I have used them all fireplace , free standing and also inserts.....The inserts and freestanding I have found to be more efficent...