I Totally Forgot!!

I put together another experiment today while I was waiting for the Muffins to rise!

It's called Magic Mix. This recipe comes from the girls at Everyday Food Storage and was developed by Utah State University. I've had the recipe forever but never got around to making it in batch form because I just make my own on an as needed basis. Basically, it's a pre-made dry Roux for making gravies, soups and a thickening agent for sauces (like cheese sauce). This new cookbook I have has many recipes that calls for "White Soup Base". I'm guessing what she means is a pre-made thickening agent or Roux and thought Magic Mix would do the trick so I whipped some up today. I haven't tested it yet but I doubt it will fail.

The recipe from the girls at Everday Food Storage calls for All Purpose Flour and they are specific about it but I've been using Whole Wheat ever since we started grinding our own. It will cook, possibly burn if you don't watch it, a little faster than AP Flour because the Whole Wheat has all the oil and bran in it. It will also make gravies a little darker in color, especially if you're making a Milk Gravy but it doesn't change the flavor much, just a little "earthier" because you're using Whole Grain instead of milled and processed flour.

2 1/3 Cup Powdered Milk
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Butter*

*As for the Butter, I used the real deal but I've read several reviews and comments that people have used Powdered Butter with excellent results. I thought I would start with the real stuff first and if I like it, try Powdered next time.

It needs to be refrigerated because of the Butter so I made it and put in Quart jars then put in the fridge for when I need it. This is what it looked like after I mixed it up...

I'll let you know how it works, and tastes, when I test it.