Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Range of Your Vehicle

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I got 332 miles out of 16.5 gallons today this is on gas purchased in San Antonio, on Friday, I got 252 before I was afraid to drive any further on gas purchased in Dallas. I have had this experience several times with Dallas gasoline, it doesn't go as far... I drove down to SA with 1 small suitcase, 1 50 cal ammo can full of ammo, 1 soft and 1 hard rifle case, and my jumbo versipack. I'd say 50 lbs of gear total. I drove back with all of the above, plus my wife, and her giant ridiculous back breaker suitcase, and three cases of canned goods, along with a jogging stroller, and other crap that needed to come back to Dallas. I'd say that with an extra person, and at least 250lbs of extra stuff, I shoulda gotten worse gas mileage, but NO. I HATE ETHANOL BLENDED GASOLINE ARGH!

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

I get about 425 miles an on a tank with my 2010 Ram 1500 4x4, has a 26 gallon tank.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Do you have a robot?
    Mine get about 475 to 500 depending upon how careful I drive. I have a 2011 GMC HD 2500 with a 35 gallon tank.

For the Love of Cats

I only get about 300. But I almost always have a 2-1/2 gallon can in the back of the truck.

I'm HORRIBLE at watching the gauge, and run on E waaaaaayy too often

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

I plan for an easy 300. I wouldn't take anything more than that for granted in my 94 f150.

I'll most likely shit myself

I still don't have a great handle on my new (to me) truck. It's a 2008 toyota tundra 5.7L with a 26 gallon tank. The only long trip we've taken with it we got just over 20mpg and about 400 miles. I can't remember now how much was left. I was paying close attention to how I was driving. Around town I get about 16-17.

I am fixing to change the oil to Mobil 1 full synthetic. From what I have researched, it should help some with MPG, maybe 1mpg. I've also got to replace the rear tires and will be going with a set of Michelin E rated tires. They will handle the loads I carry and have a 80,000 warranty. I had them on my old truck and they helped the milage a little as well.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

My work car a 96 saturn will easily go over 400 miles on its 12 gallon tank. My Nissan Titan will barely go 300 on its 28 gallon tank.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Well, my bug-out vehicle would be the Bronco, which has a 32 gallon tank to fuel the V8. It's getting about 12mpg when not loaded.
    I haven't really tried it over a whole tank fully loaded, so I don't know. I also have an off-road capable trailer, which would probably drop it a bit more.
    The main problem is that the odometer always reads off, as does the speedometer. This is due to the 35" tires.
    However, I can get it to go just about anywhere that it'll fit, so long as it isn't a swamp.

Do you have a robot?
    There should be some formula out there so you can get the correct mileage. If you check with a tire dealer they should be able to help.

Fatty not a bad idea. A couple of weeks ago I was going to come home from a local trip,100 miles and decided to top off. It was raining and it turned into a demolition derby. That 100 miles took me 5 hours to get home so it was a good lesson to keep it topped off.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I still don't have a great handle on my new (to me) truck. It's a 2008 toyota tundra 5.7L with a 26 gallon tank. The only long trip we've taken with it we got just over 20mpg and about 400 miles. I can't remember now how much was left. I was paying close attention to how I was driving. Around town I get about 16-17.

I am fixing to change the oil to Mobil 1 full synthetic. From what I have researched, it should help some with MPG, maybe 1mpg. I've also got to replace the rear tires and will be going with a set of Michelin E rated tires. They will handle the loads I carry and have a 80,000 warranty. I had them on my old truck and they helped the milage a little as well.
    Have you ever tried Motor Kote? It apparently helps with mileage as well, it's not cheap and is only available at truck stops, or online, but it goes a long way like 1 oz. per quart of oil. The overnight trucker talk radio show had a guy call in about Motor Kote one night, he said he picked up a load in Dallas, and drove straight thru to San Antonio, (about 270 miles) and when he pulled into the yard to drop the trailer he noticed the side of his truck was covered in oil, he had no indication that he was losing oil during the trip, but the crank case was empty when he checked it, apparently this stuff saved his motor. They had a guy that was a gunner in Iraq call in to tell them his whole unit had been adding it to their cleaning regimen on the 50 cals and malfunctions went way down on a bunch of old guns. My trucker buddy says he thinks it added .5 mpg in a big truck, so it ought to help in a smaller engine.