Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Range of Your Vehicle

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Range of Your Vehicle

How far can your vehicle travel on one tank of gas?

This moving process has again highlighted the need to understand your vehicle and it's abilities.

My 2007 4x4 V6 Rav4 (101,000 miles) can usually cover just at 300miles with a full tank and highway travel. For further detail, I have a roof-rack with a wind diverter thing on the front.

Fully loaded to about 900lbs and highway travel that range fell to 240ish miles.

If I spend the entire time bopping around town the total millage on one tank is also around 240ish miles (with some minimal loading from sales goodies like cases of catalogs, samples, etc. Call it 200lbs max).

I've never spent much time in 4x4 mode so I'm not sure how that will effect things. I'm also curious what full loaded and stop & go/city driving would do to the overall millage. I can see it easily falling below 200miles at that scenario.

Do you know how far you can travel on a tank of gas given different travel conditions?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

im around 300 open road in the jeep
    right now around 210ish with letting it warm up in the morning & city driving & 4 wheel drive most the time

I'll most likely shit myself

Using my 02 tundra 2x4. I can get 370-400 miles on a full tank on the highway, between 18-20mpg. When I'm loaded or driving around town, I get around 16-17, about 320-350 miles. Pulling the camper, or hauling the tractor, it gets cut down to 11-13mpg, maybe 220-250 miles.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

My truck will do around 350....I don't like the speed limit as much as I should. I could probably do better if I would slow it down some. If I'm pulling the horse trailer or flatbed it sucks, 6 cylinder engine. Loaded down I think it would drop down to the 300 mile mark.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Premium Member

I have a trailblazer that seems to do awesome on fuel mileage. Its only 2 wheel drive but it has more the enough power with the inline 6 to pull a trailer or load it down. I am between 350 - 375 on the highway, 325 -350 in the city. It was about the same a few years back I pulled a 14 uhaul trailer back from Indaina and I was still in the 300 range. Its small but it holds it own so I am very pleased with it!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Crotch Rocket

I just got my Bravada last fall, so I haven't done too much with it yet, but I've been averaging 15 mpg city, so I'm looking at 270 miles unloaded there. I'll have it loaded up this summer for camping trips and such though, so I'll update then.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Premium Member

About 500 in the Escape I believe. However, it's a FWD, 4cyl 5 speed model and I baby it. Usually in 5th as much as I can or in neutral. Always keep my RPM's below 2,000 even when accelerating, I I'm usually in 5th by the time I'm doing 40 mp/h. (I'm trying out some hypermiling techniques, walking in instead of idling at drive throughs, shifting into neutral when a light ahead turns yellow or coasting down hills, etc...) Last Friday I put $40.00 worth of fuel in it, which almost filled it up. (It was around an 1/8th) I drive approx 20 kms each way to work. I really haven't driven anywhere this week except to and from work and, as of today it has just a hair over half a tank in it! I'm blown away with the mileage I'm eeking out of it....

I'll most likely shit myself

Beginner, I ran across a Hypermiling website and found it interesting. I have a 98 honda civic 5spd, that I drive 68 miles a day to work and back. I've been trying some of the techniquies and have went up 2-3MPG and feel like I can do better. I have been trying the neutral coasting down long hills, trying to time redlights as close as possible, in neutral. Starting from a dead stop is one of the largest waste of fuel, along with idleing for long periods. I have found that is is much harder with an automatic trans, much easier with manual.
    Interstate driving kills hypermiling I've found. But my other best route has a 5 mile strech with a bunch of red lights and lots of traffic in the afternoon. That's not good either. I am pretty limited, due to having to cross 1 of 2 bridges to get home without going many miles out of my way.
    If you run across any techniquies that show a big result, please share them here. I for one would be very interested.

Premium Member

My 09 f150 I say will do about 500+ miles of normal driving before I added a programmer. After the programmer my gas milleage improved like 1-2 mpg. I haven't done a real study of it since I ruin it by flooring it once in a while. Well the reason for the mileage is contributed to the 35 galon tank it came with. Just incase you were wondering. I am thinking about adding a cai and maybe a cat back for the exhaust. That might help wth mileage and power when needed. Also might consider doing an efan mod and maybe a pulley mod. Hopefully all that stuff would add to better mpg. By the way if someone knows a reason why not to do these mods let meknow why.

Moding a vehicle could increase your range.
    Where are you going to be when SHTF?

Wanna go camping?

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

Fully loaded, my '05 Avalanche can get better than 500 miles on a full tank.
    I have averaged 22 mpg before, so if I ran it empty from a full tank I could possibly get 600 miles
    YMMV