Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sparrow's Renovation Thread with Pictures

I'll most likely shit myself

Sparrow that kitchen is fantastic. I am very impressed. Is the backsplash stainless? Very nice work.
    BTW gardening just needs experience and practice like most things. Nothing you can't get better at.

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day
    Now come do my kitchen.

Where's the epi?

Ok, well I guess it's time for the girls and our kitchens....mine was tiny and ugly blue. Knocked the wall out and added several feet, moved every appliance to different places, remilled the black walnut that was on several walls (came from our property back in the 70's)...worked on that stuff for WEEKS! Placed every single piece where I wanted it so it seemed like it took forever but when it was over they are beautiful. Had to have the granite installed by a company though. Even installed a pot filler over the stove for canning, makes it easier than carrying those pots back and forth.

For the Love of Cats

Now that certainly puts the reno thing into perspective!!!

nicely done! what an amazing difference!

Queen of the Doom Room
    Sparrow!! It's FANTASTIC!! You should be very proud! It's amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Sparrow that kitchen is fantastic. I am very impressed. Is the backsplash stainless? Very nice work.
    BTW gardening just needs experience and practice like most things. Nothing you can't get better at.
    Thank you. Would you believe that when I bought my table saw back in '08 it scared the hell out of me? Whenever I would use it, my heart would start pounding. Now ripping a board is so natural an action to me it is like breathing.

The backsplash is made out of 10 cabinet side panels from Ikea. Real stainless and also magnetized. I got them in the bargin section of the store for 20 bucks a piece, so the whole wall cost 200 dollars plus tax. I lined them up even with the stove, Used a heavy grade adhesive, and arranged the shelving and other wall items to help bolt them in and secure them to the wall. Two panels I had to cut in half, and the cuts are hidden behind those pantry units. They were cut with a metal grinder (I got help with that), then I used my jog to go through the inside MDF. The MDF got scorched a bit by cutting the metal. This is the smae method to cut the island top because two studs had to go through it.

I'll post more pictures this evening of the kitchen in progress. Keep in mind when I was doing the reno I was working 10 hrs a day at a stressful job, traveling for work and trying to date. LOL

I found out nothing scares away a date better then showing him a mid reno mess of a house!
    Last edited by Sparrow; 11-03-2011 at 03:44 PM.

I'll most likely shit myself

Nice! Great price on the stainless. It looks really good up on the wall.

Woodworking is a lot of fun. I hope to get my shop built one day, but other stuff keeps getting in the way.

For the Love of Cats

Those Reno's sure must have 'upped' the value of that place when you sold it.

I can imagine some poor schlep checking out a neighbouring townhouse... admiring the orange walls... then coming to tour yours. mouth hanging open, wide eyed

Nice score from Ikea too. typically a way overpriced place... which thay are building here... yea!! Oh, wait...

lol

Working on the kitchen

Below are pictures of installing the backslash. If you look close you can see how each piece is lined up using the stove section as the guide.

The stove was a slide in from Ikea - and I put in the counter and everything before the stove showed up! They had one at the store so I measured all the openings and heights, built accordingly but believe me - I was sweating and worrying that I might have done something wrong. But it fit like a glove!

I supported the back piece of counter wood and a 2 x 4 ledger.

Everything gets really dusty when working of stuff. I'd clean and shopvac everything, ... but unless you are anal cleaning everything all the time, I just had to get used to the dust. I set up a little kitchen in the basement when working on the house. Well, I was a basement dweller for over a year LOL.

In the pictures you can see how I blocked the sides in with pine scraps (from the floor) and a super long piece I drilled into the studs to secure everything while the adhesive dried. Oh also shims at the bottom to keep it tight there as well.

More questions are welcome. I have lots of pics of when I built the island, which was a bitch to build because I had to build in place.
    Last edited by Sparrow; 11-03-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Those Reno's sure must have 'upped' the value of that place when you sold it.

I can imagine some poor schlep checking out a neighbouring townhouse... admiring the orange walls... then coming to tour yours. mouth hanging open, wide eyed

Nice score from Ikea too. typically a way overpriced place... which thay are building here... yea!! Oh, wait...

lol
    For me, the reno wouldn't cost more if I used standard build materials. I didn't have to hire anyone except a plumber. I got a quote on electrical for the wall removal which was in the 1000s and said, F**ing no way and did the columns instead. If you can figure out how to improvise and do things yourself ... then you can use basic materials and build stuff to your liking for very little money, also using scraps from other projects.