Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could you live without a vehicle in your life

Grand Poobah of the Smart Car Appreciation Society

Question Could you live without a vehicle in your life

Could you live without a vehicle in your place.I was asking this question to someone i know because of future health reason where my driver's lic's is taken away from me by the state and i was wondering how to get back and forth into town as it needed .

I have some future health issuse that might make it inpossblies for me to have a vehicle and driver lics here in the next few year's and i have been thinking about that question here for a while

As part of the plan a person with a vehicle i know could do a twice a week into town run for supplies with them driving me there with me paying for the gas for the vehicle and maybe buying them lunch or breakfast as payment for helping me get into town .Also i was thinking of letting them drive my vehicle as payment also if they need to borrow a vehicle to use in errand's that they need and that way we can workout something for us as it need .

Part of the plan is once on Tues morning and once on Sat mornings to get supplies i need from the store and let me get out of the place as it needed .On Tues i would do all my doctor's vist and other thing's that i need to do with a short trip to the local grocery store to get the basic items i need into sat morning and then sat morning is the big shopping trip for all the good and food supplies i would need for the following week at the cabin

The source of all known trouble in the universe

This is what I do everyday. I live in a big city. Driving is a bitch, parking even more, so I use public transportation. It need some getting used to but it works.

I'll most likely shit myself

I would have a hard time getting by right now without a vehicle. I work 34 miles from where I live.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I work 180 miles from where I live, and to buy anything I have to drive for 30 minutes. So yes I need a vehicle.

Actually I have to drive 180 miles, and then fly another 100 miles to get to work.

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

With work and kids, not having a vehicle is out of the question.

And helomech, i do not envy your commute lol.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    I work 180 miles from where I live, and to buy anything I have to drive for 30 minutes. So yes I need a vehicle.

Actually I have to drive 180 miles, and then fly another 100 miles to get to work.
    Holy Moly helo! I do hope this is not a daily commute? Do you get to stay where you work during the week and come home on weekends? Gas must be killing you!
    I live out in the country so a vehicle is a must until it really hits the fan and everything shuts down. Then I hope we have the right animals in place for transportation.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I understand the vehicle issue Hank and don't need you to explain that. I also feel not one of us wants to give up ours. My question for you is does/will your condition stop/hinder you later as far as your own safety, and I mean that in regards to a SHTF scenario? As Ladyhk13 states and my feelings the loss of a vehicle may be something we all have to face in time, but will you be at a loss for much more? I don't mean to pry.....it just seems that would be a concern for me so I could plan better. Just an opinion.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

For the Love of Cats

I hadn't even finished reading your post, and had already 1/2 written my response:

NO FREAKIN WAY!!

But before I could hit enter, I stopped and thought about it... I like when people make me stop and think.

I too am a rural dweller, and have an hour+ commute to work... but do I NEED a vehicle...

I blew up my truck a couple years ago, and went for a few months without it... but my wife still had her car, and although inconvenient, we were able to carpool.

Although my home internet sucks, I can remotely connect to my work computer and work from home.

I attend 8-10 meetings a week... but via computer or telephone, I could conference call in from home.

I have a couple neighbours that also work in the city, so again, albeit inconvenient, I am sure I could catch the odd ride to work if I needed to.

Shopping... this would be a tougher one... I too would require weekly trips to the store, not just for fresh stuff, but also to increase my stored preps... assuming the loss of vehicle thing didnt mark the onset of SHTF, I wouldn't want to live off my preps if I didn't have to. I do have a couple of small towns nearby (7 miles) so I could walk it, or ride a bike. I have also taken both my quad and snowmobile into town for supplies. But they also 'require' a drivers licence.

The hardest thing (besides admitting this) is that I am a junkie. yup! an addict! I can get mighty cranky if I don't have my 'fix' often hourly!. My wife even agreed, that if there EVER isn't any in the house... it's grounds for divorce!
    We've both made 0200 rides into the city to get me some... or 2155 rides to the closest town to get some before it closed. I do have some powdered stored, but it isn't the same... I've thought about quitting, and have run out at times and gone cold turkey for several sequential hours... but in the end it always comes down to one thing... I LOVE my milk, dammit! I don't want to give it up! I drink a gallon+ a day (I've cut back) and I love it. I typically have an open jug in the fridge, a spare jug in the fridge... and an emergency jug in the outside fridge.

But, with planning, and possibly some rationing *shudder* I could probably make do with weekly shopping trips, although I might need to buy another fridge.

So it would all come down to 'need' vs 'want' I love my vehicle, and the freedom it allows, but if I had to give it up could I?? yeah, begrudgingly I could make do without it(them)

I think you would want to minimize how much you rely on your friend(s) for rides, and offering cash or filling up their vehicle is a lot better than having them drive yours. skip the Saturday shopping and do it on Tuesday? That way you've cut your dependance on them by half. And once a week for a doctors visit with a few pitstops is a lot more do-able than twice a week for most people.

you should try to keep your licence at all costs, even if that means voluntarily giving up driving. Without a licence, if you had to drive in an emergency situation, your insurance would probably be void, and you would lose everything if you were in an accident.

Wish you the best for a speedy recovery of what ails you.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    Holy Moly helo! I do hope this is not a daily commute? Do you get to stay where you work during the week and come home on weekends? Gas must be killing you!
    I live out in the country so a vehicle is a must until it really hits the fan and everything shuts down. Then I hope we have the right animals in place for transportation.
    It's not as bad as it sounds, I work 7 days, then I am off 7 days. They house, and feed me while I am there.

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

Yes i could. I live in a city of 30k and its 2 miles to work. I almost walked to work for a whole year until i started long distance running. After my kid is born ill start walking again