Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Security Window Film

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Incidentally, I had been hearing a bunch of people on different forums extolling phonebooks as body armour, so I did a pile of experiments with them too. result in a nutshell: NOT suitable for body Armour!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

For the Love of Cats

rofl...

Hey... Gimme a break! I had a blast shooting the hell out of a pile of phonebooks and I made 2 wheel barrows full of confetti for mulch for my garden.

I had been thinking about the edges of the windows and was wondering how the film would keep them from breaking. I thought maybe the film would be glued to the wood of the window frame but doubted it would hold very well. Then I thought about if using a very good quality duct tape in several layers going around each edge of the window and generously overlapping onto the frame. Then use those type nails (can't remember what they're called but they look like giant staples) and nail the duct tape directly to the window frame. It'll look like hell, but it may be just enough to make it too hard to continue trying to enter. And during a SHTF situation, I won't be caring at all about the visual esthetics, just the barrier it provides. If it gets that bad though, I think I'll be using duct tape on the windows anyway.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I just Googled "Lexan impact strength" and got a bunch of hits, one of which was this vid. He used 3 or 4 layers, adding up to about 1/4" or just a bit more. He was trying to point out how weak the 9mm was, as he also shot them with .40 cal and .357 Mag. I'm not looking for bullet resistance anyway, it was about general impact resistance. There was another vid of someone whaling on one of those Lexan sunlights you put in your house with a regular framing hammer. It just bounced off repeatedly. There was another vid of an impact stress test where a steel ball bearing was launched into various types of plastics.
    Anyway, based on these, and what Lexan I've worked with as a machinist, I figured someone standing next to the house, whether trying with their fist, a hammer, or even a short club or crowbar, wouldn't easily get through, if at all. Granted, enough tool can be brought in to get through, but enough tool can be brought in to get through the doors and walls also.
    However, I was talking to a friend this am on the phone, and he was telling me of a friend of his who had been broken into, and had then applied the window film. In the kit was a tape that went around the edge, overlapping between the glass and frame.
    Two weeks later, they returned. Someone saw them and called the police. In the 30 minutes that elapsed before the arrival of the police, they worked on the window with a hammer. The police arrested them in the yard, having failed to gain entry. I relate this story as told to me, as it was told to him. I do not know if it was a true 30 minutes, or how strong these folks were, or about the hammer. He did say that they were local crackheads, having been busted before.
    He did not know how much his friend spent, and this was some years ago.
    I am already awaiting my cut Lexan, and have the security screws in hand, so I'm not changing midstream. However, I do believe that I will see an insulating benefit to essentially "double paning" my windows, where the film probably only has a mild insulating effect.
    Because of the way I bought it, I will have some sheets in sizes similar to the window panes. I am seriously thinking of throwing together a quick frame and mounting a piece like I'm doing on the windows and seeing what it will take.

For the Love of Cats

Nice info gunfixr... tx

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    rofl...

Hey... Gimme a break! I had a blast shooting the hell out of a pile of phonebooks and I made 2 wheel barrows full of confetti for mulch for my garden.

Now I know where that fire started.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Lady Gaga is ready for S-to-HTF in this dress - security film anyone?

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    Now I know where that fire started.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Uh, wow.

Still waiting on my Lexan. Did get a call yesterday, not ready. But, it was being cut by the "new guy", and he incorrectly read the order and had cut most already out of 1/4" instead of 1/8". They wanted to know if that was a problem for me.
    It would be the same price.

Definately not, I said.

I'll most likely shit myself

Very nice fixer, very nice.