Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Security Window Film

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Well, got a call yesterday just after lunch, my Lexan was ready.
    I actually got started about 3:30 in the afternoon, having picked it up, sorted it out, and trimmed a few pieces that I had "size adjusted" a bit to make for less paid for cutting.
    Got all the outside pieces up by about 6pm, well after dark. Got to use my new headlamp for the first time, a Petzl Tactikka. Very nice. Much better than the cheaper units I already have.
    Got the inside pieces up just before 8pm.
    The house is noticeably quieter, and today was quite windy with the wind rather cold. It was noticeably warmer inside also for a windy day. In the spring, I'll pull the sheets, clean the glass, and put them back up with sealant. I was in a hurry, so I let it go for now.
    Just out of curiosity, I took a strip I had cut off a piece and "abused" it some. It's 1/4" thick, and about 1/4 to 3/8" wide, about 26" or so long. I bent it into a "U" shape, with the ends touching. No cracks or breakage, it went back straight. I held one end and smacked the picnic table about as hard as I could with it. My hand stung, no damage to the piece. My 19yr old son was amazed. I gave it to him, and he bent it about a dozen more times, and whaled on the table a dozen or so times, still no joy. I bent it again and smacked it over the top pipe of the chain link fence for the neighbors, still no joy. Showed my wife when she got home. It's a little warped in the middle, but no cracks, splits, and in one piece. I also drove my fist into the kitchen window so hard it hurt nicely, didn't hardly flex the pane.
    They're gonna need a sledgehammer to get in next time.

Totally awesome gunfxr!

I'll most likely shit myself

Very nice! That kind of piece of mind don't come to easy, Congrats.

I love the petzel's. I have 2 of the older models for years now. Never had a problem. I do want to get a couple of the newer models with the led bulbs. Should add to the battery life considerably.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Quote Originally Posted by mollypup View Post
    I had been thinking about the edges of the windows and was wondering how the film would keep them from breaking. I thought maybe the film would be glued to the wood of the window frame but doubted it would hold very well. Then I thought about if using a very good quality duct tape in several layers going around each edge of the window and generously overlapping onto the frame. Then use those type nails (can't remember what they're called but they look like giant staples) and nail the duct tape directly to the window frame. It'll look like hell, but it may be just enough to make it too hard to continue trying to enter. And during a SHTF situation, I won't be caring at all about the visual esthetics, just the barrier it provides. If it gets that bad though, I think I'll be using duct tape on the windows anyway.
    About a year ago when I was looking into the films and I thought of the same thing about the edges. The idea I came up with is to remove the glass from the flame work, apply the film then replace the window. It might be more work but any type of window can be removed. Removing the pane of glass will also make the film application easer and might even end up faster depending on the way that the glass is affixed.

Do you have a robot?
    FYI 3M films are used to retro fit windows in foreign lands from bomb blasts. I think it was Gunfixr posted the 9 mil DIY site. I have not used the 9 mil. I have seen the 11 mil in use and you have to hack through it with a machete to get through. It is not bullet resistant but it will stop most other things. If you really do it right you put it on both sides for double protection. Generally it is installed for about $6 per sq foot.

I looked into this a couple years ago, the films are excellent quality and will help prevent intruders from breaking into your house. There are a couple different companies that make the films, i have a sample from one of them around here someplace. The security film/tint is about 5 times thicker then car window tint and must be actually glued in place on your window, the strength is dependent on the window from itself, if your window is weak then upgrade the window before buying the film. There is a video on youtube or someplace that shows someone using a bat to beat the window in, the window WITHOUT the film break right away. The window WITH the film breaks, but the film hold the window together, requiring the thief/burglar to continue to beat on the window, during the test it took 20+ minutes of beating to break into the window enough to put his hand in and unlock the window. They also make a car film, though since the film is so thick you can only use it on flat pieces of glass.

I was quoted a price of $8,000 to do my entire 1200sq ft house in the security film.

Walking on Sunshine

I saw on another site a company that makes screens that are near impregnable. I believe it's Tapco inc. It took a beating and the only way anyone can get to the window was with firemans circular saw. And they have latch to open from inside the house. Think site is www.tapcoinc.net They probably are expensive but the vid was impressive.
    Last edited by Katrina; 02-11-2012 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Correct link