Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquaponics system. Need people to critique my system

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

optimum temp for tilapia is 82-86F. 68F is about the lowest they can tolerate long term, but they don't eat or grow. Around 50 they all die.

Well plans changed again, we decided to make it bigger. So I am adding 5 feet to each side of my hole in the ground, and we will probably make it longer also. It started out 16X40, and now we are up to 24X60 or 24X70. Now everything in these pics is in it's temporary location except the big fish tank that is buried. The IBC next to the fish tank is for the breeders that Ravnis gave me. I told the wife once I get it expanded it is not going to get any bigger.

One of the tilapia I picked up today.

I'll most likely shit myself

Wow Helo, that is a hell of a set up. Provides plenty of food I'm betting. I know it will by the time you get everything set up like you want. Nice Work

Thanks, it should provide way more food than we can eat. Especially if I can get the tilapia to breed, from what I have heard they are easy to get to breed.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

I had not checked into this thread in a while.

WOW

This is a very interesting journey and I really appreciate you taking the time to share it with us. We are very lucky for that.

Thanks!
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Thanks. It is a fun project, just wish I could get it done faster. Seems like there is always something to do before I can put the cinder blocks in.

Working 7 days of overtime this coming up week so i should be able to get all my cinder blocks up next month, and maybe even get the greenhouse up. The breeders I picked up earlier this month have had babies, they are to small to get pics of, but we are setting up an aquarium inside to put a bunch of them in. And also got a tank set up to grow duck weed to feed to the fish.

Duck weed tank

And this is the final size of the system. Decided to work over to pay someone to get the wall up, it would take me a long time to do it, and my friend is going to bring his crew of 8 guys over with a small backhoe for 1500 a day. They should be able to knock out the wall in a day or so.

Here is a video of feeding time with the tilapia.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    wow, awe, inspiration, desire and..... I cant even put into words the thoughts I am having. This is incredible! You have placed ideas in my mind that are just banging to get out to make it a reality. Did I say wow?
    Ok the catfish, the research I have done states that a strong current needs to be in the 'tank'. I have posted this else where on this sight but I will do it again here they run a 55Gal barrel with catfish.

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_lib...hinabarrel.pdf

Even this is a miniscule in comparison to what your are creating here. Thank you so very much for providing this information. It will be used in upgrading my feeble attempt at aquaponics.

Looks awesome!

Thanks I am so ready to be finished with the build. Having to put everything else on hold. Ready to reap the rewards now.