Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquaponics system. Need people to critique my system

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I was hoping to have the fish tank in the ground by now, but over 4 inches of rain has put me behind schedule, and now the tractor is stuck in the hole. Hoping to pull it out this morning, if my truck won't do it, than I need to call in some favors.

This pic was after I was working at it for a while. The water was almost all the way up to the ledge that is 4 feet below ground level.

Do you have a robot?
    Hay Helo obviously you have started and have plans in place. You might want to contact the University of California at Davis. They have an extensive aquaponics program. The go out and assist people in our state in getting started. My sister was going to get into it years ago and they were more than helpful. I would think they would send you a pile of material that might be helpful. Let me know if they don't send it out of state and I will get it for you. You still have a huge amount of work ahead of you, good luck and be safe.

Thanks going to try to contact them. Been doing lots of research on line, and joined the forum at backyard aquaponics.

Got the tractor out the hole, and picked up the fish tank. Need to get the hole dry and then level the bottom with sand so I can place the tank and backfill the hole.

Here is the tank, 1550 gallons.

And here are some of the IBC's that will eventually be the sump for my system, but for now is going to be a temporary grow bed.

Do you have a robot?
    FYI the people at Davis are trying to get people to do it for profit. So if you consider it they might be a good source for marketing them. If I had the right piece of property then I would do it.

We are going to do it and sell the excess at the farmers market.

Made a little progress today.

Need to get the rest of the hole level with the sides that are 4 foot below ground. Then I will mount up some IBC's and get the water flowing through them before I do anything else. After that will get started on cement, or cinder blocks for the sides. Still not sure exactly what I will do. Oh and we threw a few fish in just because my pond is full of little one's that need to be killed. Also threw in a bunch of minnows and grass shrimp. Going to get the hole filled in and leveled off tomorrow.

I'll most likely shit myself

Looks good Helo. Nice fish as well.

Thanks man, still a LOOOOOONG ways to go.