Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated CPR Kits

Crotch Rocket

Dedicated CPR Kits

Is there anyone here carrying one? If so, how? I know there are barriers on key chain setups, and I have a belt worn kit I was issued back in 2004 and I absolutely love it, but lost it- I thought forever - until I emptied out my locker yesterday at work. Finding it caused me to consider that we don't have a thread on CPR at all. And besides, I wanted to share in my excitement.

What I have is a Laerdal "Inflate-A-Shield" CPR barrier, a pair of gloves, and an anti-microbial wipe that packs into a belt pouch designed for them. I like that option way better than the keychain units because it doesn't contribute to bulging my pockets out and stays out of my way, but is right there if I (or someone else until I recert) need it. Its roughly 2.5"h x 3"w x 1"d

I find the shield itself very interesting too:
    AllMed Catalog :: <B>CLEARANCE CENTER</B> :: Airway Management
    Combining the superior protection of a mask and the portability of a shield, the Inflate-a-Shield CPR barrier delivers the best of both worlds to professional rescuers and lay responders alike.

Rescuers simply use one breath to inflate this compact, lightweight, single-use device.

The Inflate-a-Shield CPR barrier features a one-way valve, 3M™ Filtrete™ hydrophobic filter and the contoured inflated cuff provides a highly effective seal to the victim's face.

Verified to reduce airborne bacteria and viruses by greater than 99%, the Inflate-A-Shield device offers the protection rescuers require.

The Inflate-A-Shield barrier is ideal for CPR training classes, for use by lay responder and rescue personnel, and as a perfect adjunct to first aid kits and AEDs.
    Unfortunately, they're a discontinued item, and I haven't as yet found the whole setup as I've described anywhere, though the shields themselves are discounted to $2 on the site I linked, and as I'm eventually going to need to update and replace it I'm wondering what else is out there?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Crotch Rocket

lol... I love it when topics I start fail miserably! At least it helps keep my ego in check!

Nobody carries or has a CPR kit?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

I'll most likely shit myself

I have one I've had for years, keep it in the vehicle FAK. Probably ain't doing me a lot of good there.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

i don't carry one on my belt or car. I probably should. I DO have a fully stocked STOMP portable hospital pack that has barriers in it. For the time being, I'm only concerned about having to do CPR on my family, and other than select members having the stupid gene, they don't have any cooties.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Do you have a robot?
    The new guidelines for CPR are chest compressions only. However LEOs are and I guess fire will still do it the old fashion way. I guess the thought of some stranger puking in your mouth was a turn off for most people, me included, I thought I better put that in. Now that said there are small barriers with one way valves that work very well. There are some that have a mask fits over the face and will do a good seal. Then there is the small folding type that takes up no space.

Crotch Rocket

Wow. Now there's a statement that further reinforces my need to get in and recertify! Mouth-to-mouth was still "the" standard back when I was issued my kit. I'm thinking now I'll go in for the refresher before I make any choices on gear. Every option stated so far is stuff I'm at least loosely acquainted with, and was touted as effective from what I recall. Thanks folks.

Izzy, your approach is also one I've considered, though more along the lines of a dynamed BLS kit. I think I want to get some more training in before I do that though.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Mouth to mouth (rescue breath) is still a important thing to do if you don't get a pulse after every 30 chest compressions if your comfortable with doing it.

Where's the epi?

I still do it the old fashioned way but my mask has a cushioned barrier so no fluids can pass either direction.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I have a kit for CPR. It has the mask w/one way tube and wipes in it. Sorry I don't have a link but the mfr is Dyna-med.
    Last edited by LUNCHBOX; 11-22-2011 at 05:08 AM.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.