Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sealing your dwelling against airborne/outside contagions

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Sealing your dwelling against airborne/outside contagions

Are you prepared to seal your house against airborne or outside contagions?

While we can't go totally military grade NBC can you at least keep heavy smoke, or general irritants from getting into your house?

If so, how are you going to go about it? What sort of supplies do you have on hand? Any resources you can share?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

Good question. I have a small start on this for our place. I have several rolls of plastic, duck tape, 100 mph tape, tacs, & staples. These will be used as need to seal all doors and windows. Starting with our safe room.
    Along with this I am in the planning stages of getting wood to put up over all our doors and windows. I plan to have all that material cut, drilled, and ready to put up on short notice. Just stored awaiting the need.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Putting up all this Lexan against further burglaries has got me thinking.
    It'll take time, but I may start buying pieces of this that fit over the whole window frame on the outside, in at least 1/4" or better thickness. Then, they could be just screwed to the frame after running a bead of sealant around the edge. Totally non-permeable, and you can see through it.
    I don't know, though. Here in the city it might just be best to leave. Still thinking on it. I'm thinking on pulling down what I have now in the spring, cleaning all the windows, and putting it back up with sealant.
    At that point, all I'd have to do is seal the window frame seams and I'd be pretty good. Just have to do the doors.

Don't forget the attic eaves and the crawlspace vents and opening. If you have a kitchen or bathroom vent fan.

Glad you mentioned the vents. I have 2 attic fans that would let whatever in.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I have the plastic rolls, staple gun and tape. Since we had to rip all the interior walls out of this place before moving in, I have a half dozen cans of spray foam that will come in handy. This stuff is not very expensive and might work for others also.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Any of you has seen the last Mythbuster?

There was a myth about bed liner. That thing took a C4 blast on wood and concrete walls like it was nothing. I am pretty sure that it would also work for bacterias. This way, you just have to worry about windows and doors.

I just may cover my BOL with that thing. Check that episode out.

Garden? I'll show you a garden....
    We always have greenhouse grade plastic here and duct tape. That's my plan. I thought using staples was a no, no as it creates break in the seal and allows for the "bad juju" to get in?

I'm wondering if just putting on a thick coat or two of paint around the window sashes, where the windows touch each other, and any other places where there might be air flow would be enough to keep any airborne pathogen outside. Most of our windows are nearly impossible to open anyway because they are painted together. Hubby has to get the rubber hammer out to beat them apart before opening.

Staples would if used by themselves. My plan is to put out the plastic and secure it with staples, then come back and tape over them to seal them off. One layer off tape over the staples, then another layer on wither side of the 1st piece of tape.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Staples would if used by themselves. My plan is to put out the plastic and secure it with staples, then come back and tape over them to seal them off. One layer off tape over the staples, then another layer on wither side of the 1st piece of tape.
    Pretty much the most effective method of sealing off a room... The stables are strong yet the tape provides the gaseous / vapor barrier...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.