Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Scavenging for supplies

Walking on Sunshine

But Sniper, do you call them George first?

For the Love of Cats

George? Yikes! I was thinking Brittany, Bonnie, Bambi, or Barbara.

Shit! I'd even take a Bertha before a George!

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I'll have to look for those movies. I think I've seen The Day After, but none of the others.

Don't assume for a minute that anything will be overlooked. Some places will be hit later than others, but they will all be hit.
    We are not that special. If we can think of it, so can someone else.
    The whole area will be picked clean like a skeleton cleaned by beetles.

Really, I've often thought that, if it could be safely pulled off, the scavenging should be done first, to make the supplies last. Kind of a "get it while it's available" thing. But, the risk is much higher.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

For the Love of Cats

Depending what the event is... if an EMP type of thing is involved, the highways will be littered with vehicles full of supplies. Most people, once stricken motionless will grab what they can carry and try to make it either home or where they were going to on foot.

My old quad and trailer will suit me well in collection, along with Gerry cans and a hose. Timing would have to be a day or so after SHTF, once people abandoned, or a week after, once people died off. After that I would foresee organized groups moving through to 'somewhere' and pillaging all they could.

Aside from the obvious things to collect, other things could include spare parts for vehicles (if applicable), fuel, oil, antifreeze, block heaters, batteries, alternators, starters, wiring, seats, etc. (who can add to this list?)
    The obvious I mention refers to the stuff people might be travelling with (bags, coolers, food, water, etc)

Obviously defence would be paramount during this, as stranded travellers would do just about anything for a running quad!

I live a few miles away from a major highway heading out into cottage country, so in the summer it is often very busy with campers and cottagers, so I would expect truckloads, trailer loads, and boatloads of goodies. Luckily for me, most people have new quads, entirely computer controlled, which would be useless except for parts. Most boats now days have at least 2 deep cycle marine batteries; that no one in their right mind would carry off. In the winter, trucks and trailers would be abandoned full of useless snowmobiles and heavy jerry cans full of premium gas. Luckily, I have an old sled (the wife's) that can pull just fine and doesn't have a computer (mine would be toast!)

imo...

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

T I would also take wheels/tires, after the run was over and die off took place, come back and get the radiator and maybe rear end/differential. For that matter coil or leaf springs for the metal. Depending on where you live an old fishing boat might be a good find for future fish harvest.

For the Love of Cats

I have my own boat, but would consider 'spares' that I could distribute to fav areas. else; they would be used for supplies, and or left for fodder.
    spring steel is and would always be a commodity! Good call!

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Ok, so i went to youtube, and watched remnants, testament, and on the eighth day. I looked up threads, but it all looked like links, some twice as long as others.
    Watched them back to back.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

I'll most likely shit myself

The reason I mentioned small boats, some folks don't have one but live near favorable bodies of water. With a trolling motor and some batteries and solar panel, you could cover a lot larger area than bank fishing alo e. Even make it easier to put in a trot like e or net.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    I have my own boat, but would consider 'spares' that I could distribute to fav areas. else; they would be used for supplies, and or left for fodder.
    spring steel is and would always be a commodity! Good call!

A post SHTF source for spring steel, if memory serves, will be in the suspensions of older abandoned cars. It will NOT be a 'hit n git' salvage, though. Good material for decent cutting edges of any kind.

Older abandoned cars will be an excellent resource. Loads of wire in the electrical system, tire rubber for when a smoky fire is needed, windows, dead loads of sheet metal ...

As always, I may be contacted at oldvegasfox@reagan.com

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I would hit the local salvage yards. We have several in our area. Tons and tons of everything a prepper could possibly hope for. All in one convenient stop and shop. They even have the tools to get what you need easier. And any electrical device can be made to run from
    solar powered if you have a battery, an inverter, and extra wire. Things like charge controllers would just make them easier to charge and use.