Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Scavenging for supplies

Katrina those are some good places too. We do a lot of 'thrifting' already.

This just came to mind, I just joined a small gym, when SHTF no one will be going to the gym, but (at least this one) has supplements on hand to sell... So protein bars, buckets of protein powder and supplement drinks could last a year or better from what I see there.

I'll most likely shit myself

That is one I would have never considered and will most likely be untouched until some starts scavanging metal.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Daca102090 View Post
    Another thing to look at is in places like Wal-mart and Costco or other warehouse club stores, after things have been stripped to the bare shelves, what about the electric fork lifts? The deep cycle batteries would be an increadible addition to a BOL or other location. Also some places have propane powered fork lifts and might still have some in the removable tanks.
    Gee, thanks.

(Wal-Mart employee, thanks ever so much for asking.)

You are making the wrong assumption.The aholes that loot wal-marts or targets will go the whole deal and set the place to the torch, after it's been effectively picked clean, out of pure frustration if nothing else.

A little bit off to the side, and yes, I am gonna be called a ghoul for bringing it up... as though this whole thread was virgin-white to begin with. Stinks to be me, but here goes.

What happens to the dead, and their gear?

For the Love of Cats

I think it is a given that they will be scavenged as fast as they are created
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    Gee, thanks.

(Wal-Mart employee, thanks ever so much for asking.)

You are making the wrong assumption.The aholes that loot wal-marts or targets will go the whole deal and set the place to the torch, after it's been effectively picked clean, out of pure frustration if nothing else.

A little bit off to the side, and yes, I am gonna be called a ghoul for bringing it up... as though this whole thread was virgin-white to begin with. Stinks to be me, but here goes.

What happens to the dead, and their gear?

nobody ever wants to talk about The Dark Side .... after the retail are looted & burned - the residential areas tore from asunder - next comes the body picking .... you'll eventually see totally naked dead bodies left to rot - picked clean .... there'll be a market for the clothes - especially heavy winter gear - the shoes/boots will become a premium .... anyone with a backpack becomes the supreme target .....

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Anything that we might think of, will already be picked by the time we got to it. Either have it in your basement or run the 99% chance risk of never having it post SHTF (If were talking about a national SHTF situation here).

It only takes a matter of minutes after an emergency and all the common locations will ALREADY be looted. Not much longer and some creative thinking, all the OTHER places will have been looted.

I do however keep a mental note of many things... like the location of propane bottles that can be obtained, which might be overlooked by the panicked sheeple.

Hunger is a great motivator, like GF mentioned. The more hunger, the more motivated. Within 2 months, maybe less... if you dont have bullets to protect your "stash", your DRT, someone WILL kill you for your spam, guaranteed.

When it comes down to it, the 4 B's are where its at, everything else are luxuries... (Beans Bullets BandAids Batteries, each section is further broke down naturally). Now, I do NOT overlook the luxuries, they are VERY important too.. but lets face it, without at least the first 3 B's, nothing else matters.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

Shit! Those B's. Shit, shit shit.

And here I have been focussing on Bacardi, Baclava, and Babes...

Damn! Back to square one!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    Yeah but after the easy good has been used, you can get away with scavenging groups hideouts because not all of them will survive. The ability to provide sustainable food is what will keep people alive long term.

All these shows that have people surviving on canned goods that they are looting years after the event are deluded. All of those will be used up immediately because people will only know those sources. You'll be lucky to find a forgotten can of cat food in somebody's basement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

For the Love of Cats

all the cat food cans in my basement aren't forgotten...

I'll most likely shit myself

Should that not read canned cat in your basement?