Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Scavenging for supplies

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Scavenging for supplies

Let's face it. Preps WILL run out eventually and you cant possible put enough supplies back for every contingency. That, said,I thought that it would be fun to start at thread about identiying those overlooked or under-considered places for scavenging food and supplies in the post STHF/PAW environment.

The obvious places (like supermarkets, pharmacies, hospitals, and corner stores) will be picked over fairly well.

List some places that you can think of that are not so obvious for essential supplies. Also list what could be found to ensure your survival.

Construction sites (fuel/ tools), veterinary clinics (meds/ medical supples), and now city and private pools (water treatment)...... thanks, Evolver.... are some that come to my mind.

How about you?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day
    Lot of places come to mind, but so does the issue of legalities in some circles. WOuld not want to see this post viewed as preparing to do something illegal.

No offense. This has been on my mind for some time now also.

For the Love of Cats

A couple of easy ones come to mind.

Assuming that the SHTF scenario is an EMP type of event... Then a GREAT place to scavenge will be the highways, and rail-lines

Once the sheeple madness has died down a bit, The roads will be littered with vehicles with piles of stuff in them that people couldn't carry when they were forced to abandon their rides. Granted, others will pick some over, but most of them will be carrying their own stuff. Given accidents and general mayhem, it wouldn't even need to be an EMP, as people drive stupid to begin with, and in an emergency, there will be blocked roads all over.

These will also be a great source for fuels (diesel, gas, oil)

There will also be tractor trailers and trains stopped all over the place.

I have an old tractor that will run no matter what. I could fill the bucket with jerry cans, grab a siphon hose, and have access to tons of fuels. Throw in a set of bolt cutters, and now I could access the cargo on the trucks/trains.

Throw in a couple good chunks of chain, and if I happened across a fuel truck, or a grocery truck... I could drag the whole thing home.

Beyond that, there will be of course your neighbours. The ones that either didn't make it home, or bugged out to another location. I have one sheeple couple living near me, who pride themselves on "living one day at a time" they shop daily on their way home, and buy enough food for the night. Assuming of course that they didn't just have dinner out(again). I've sat in his kitchen, having a beer with him, and he opened a few cupboards looking for snacks, and every food cupboard was almost void of food. the fridge held nothing but condiments. The freezer had ice. I asked him what they'd do in case of a blizzard or something. "Jump in the truck and head to her mom's place in the city, or just stay in the city".

So what did they have? Lots of books, several musical instruments, tools, clothes... stuff! and in a SHTF scenario... 'stuff' can end up having multiple uses.

GunnerMax
    Grocery store distrobution warehouses, for me (due to close proximity to seaports) shipping containers, small businesses (tools, raw supplies), etc

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by Dropy View Post
    Lot of places come to mind, but so does the issue of legalities in some circles. WOuld not want to see this post viewed as preparing to do something illegal.

No offense. This has been on my mind for some time now also.
    Maybe I can do something to alleviate a bit of that concern. There are times that scavenging is a legal and sanctioned activity. I scavenged in and helped pull a metric shit ton of equipment and supplies out of a condemned apartment complex in Joplin. The group I was with had salvage rights to the property. The key to this is knowing who to talk to about getting an official letterhead to show LE and NG patrols. I didn't bother grabbing any of the food due to the the length of time it had sat there exposed to the heat and adverse weather, but medical and sanitary supplies, cleaning equipment and supplies, undamaged appliances, tools, safety equipment.... Outdoor gear... all of it was fair game.

I didn't see a single gun or box of ammunition, which I found a little surprising given the amount of sporting goods equipment in some homes, but... it had been months and I can only assume the homeowners managed to come in for some things, or other crews/ looters had already found and removed such items. I know there was a crew prior to my own that went in to remove hazmat items in preparation for the coming demolition of the site. hazmat included tv's btw. So don't make the assumption a place has already been looted just from the absence of one.

The other thing I can say is, it reaps major benefits to scour your surroundings for more than danger. Many good items were found laying outside amid the rubble, half hidden under the scrap.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMax View Post
    Grocery store distrobution warehouses, for me (due to close proximity to seaports) shipping containers, small businesses (tools, raw supplies), etc
    re: the food warehouses. These are going to be just like the supermarkets, imo. They're too well known to be of any benefit, with the risks far too great. There are arguments all across the 'net on this subject, and the overwhelming consensus is to avoid them. Just advancing some food for thought there.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Hunkering down and not going any where is going to be a best for our situation. We are trying to get as much as we can know while we can and not being dependent on any batteries or fuels. We stock them but when there gone there gone so if we have the back to the basic skills is where we will prevail.
    Last edited by Evolver; 11-25-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I don't know. Here in the urban jungle, I don't think there will be much food to be had. That will be fought over until the winners run out and die of starvation, the losers having been killed by the winners.

There will probably be stuff.

I guess what I need is about 6-9 months worth of food minimum, and seeds to start a garden. Once the last few are struggling to move around, I can grow a garden, as I will no longer have to stay up 24/7 to keep an eye on it.

The view here is pretty dim, I've noticed.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

can you guys think of anywhere that might have food and supplies that might possibly be overlooked?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I don't know, hunger is a great motivator. Really hungry people will be rather thorough, and inventive in their desperation. Kinda like when you are looking for something you know you have, but cannot find. You invariably look some places that in your mind you know you won't find it, but in your desperation you still hope, and look anyway.
    I think it largely depends on what kind of SHTF event happens. You almost would need some type of disease to wipe everybody out before they could starve, or some kind of quick-happening event to either drive everyone off hurriedly or kill them off so fast that they can't eat everything.

I just reread that last statement, kinda morbid, but I cannot think of any other way to put it.