Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trauma Kits (And why they are a necessity post SHTF)

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Trauma Kits (And why they are a necessity post SHTF)

Okay, reading Izzy's post about IV's made me have an eureka moment at 2:55 AM (this doesn't happen too often lol) So I decided despite being in a semi-incoherent state to write this psot about why Trauma Kits are so important post shtf and why everyone should have them stocked.

So you ask, why should I have one?

Simple to answer. In today's world of 21st century medicine, a hospital is almost always within a reasonable amount of times travel in the event of an emergency. In the PAW, this will vanish as the hospital staff are either overwhelmed or altogether leave to protect their own. (This also applies to you guys out in the sticks... You never know when a situation may call for a Trauma kit to save your life.) Not only will hospitals be less accessible, you may be doing more strenuous work and using more dangerous equipment just to make sure you and the ones you are around can survive past a PAW event. This opens up the possibility of Traumatic Injuries. Now enough banter on why the Kits are needed, lets get onto the contents of the kit. Most of the items you read about below are listed elsewhere, but few are listed together to cope with a Traumatic injury such as a compound fracture or similar. Please keep in mind, this is NOT an exhaustive list, in fact I encourage you to list any items you may think are of any significance so we have as complete a list as possible.

Trauma Kit Supplies:

A GOOD bag to carry everything in (a small backpack with compartments would be great, being portable and easy to have around at all times.)

Personal Safety/CPR
    10 pair Gloves
    1 pair Safety Goggles
    1 CPR Microshield® (CPR Mask)
    1 Alcohol Hand Sanitizer, 4oz

Minor Cuts and Scrapes
    60 Adhesive bandages
    20 butterfly bandages
    20 - 2x2 Gauze Pads (2 packs)
    2 Roll Plastic Medical Tape,
    1" x 10 yds
    2 Roll Porous Medical Tape,
    2" x 10 yds
    2 Roll Cloth Medical Tape,
    1" x 10 yds
    1 roll self adherent waterproof wrap, 1 inch
    10 Triple Antibiotic Ointment

Larger Injuries/Trauma
    2 pair Trauma Shears
    10 - 5 x 9 Gauze Dressing
    20 - 4x4 Gauze Pads (2 packs)
    5 Trauma Dressing, 10x30
    10 Gauze Rolls, 3 in x 75 in
    5 Triangular Bandage
    8 Elastic Bandages, 2 inch
    5 Mylar Survival Blanket
    5 Set of 5 Oral Airways
    2 Stethoscope
    2 Blood Pressure Cuff
    2 C-Collar, Adjustable, Adult Size

Other
    10 Instant Cold Packs, large
    Bandage Scissors, 4.5 inch
    5 Insta-Glucose
    30 Tongue Blades / Finger Splints
    2 Disposable Penlight
    2 Splinter Forceps
    2 Forehead Thermometer
    5X QuickClot Sponge Type
    10X QuickClot 5X5 Mesh

Wound Cleaning/Misc.
    5 Sodium Chloride Irrigation Solution, 250ml
    35 Antiseptic Wipes
    50 Alcohol Preps
    5 Resealable Plastic Bag
    5 Red Biohazard Trash Bags
    2 Ink Pens

Intravenous Kit
    Several sets of IV's (the catheters, etc.)

5X Lactated Ringers (Ringers Lactate)
    5X D5W (Dextrose 5% Water 95%)
    5X Saline

ABOVE ALL ELSE, TRAINING PREVAILS! Make sure to have someone in your group trained who knows how to use the contents of your trauma kit. Otherwise, it is useless.

Also, as stated above, add to the list if I missed anything... A bigger list makes for a better kit in the end.

Finally, Practical Trauma™ - Trauma Kit helped me list the items above... I was having a mental block early on into this post
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Got this area fairly well covered.
    Got personal kits as well as larger group-type kits.
    Wife is trained as an RN.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Got this area fairly well covered.
    Got personal kits as well as larger group-type kits.
    Wife is trained as an RN.
    Sounds like you are pretty set!
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

GunnerMax
    Don't forget whiskey or bourbon (to dull pain) if you can't get morphine. A couple singles of booze would work, and they are small. Or use the flask you should have for trade/fire starting/drinking.

Do you have a robot?
    No it is whiskey and bourbon. A couple of singles will work even if there is not pain. Also I'm not sure it I like the idea of using it for fire starting, I think it is a waste of good booze. So I will drink it and think about a fire.........later.

One thing that we all need to make sure is that we have proper supplies. First aid kits are just that first aid. Same goes for Trauma kits. Both are designed to deal with the immediate needs of the patient. However if you have to take care of them long term you need to have major wound care supplies.

i was thinking screw the whiskey or bourbon and go with a bottle of everclear... more potent = more uses... also can be used as an antiseptic in place of isopropyl alcohol...

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Guys, keep in mind that the booze can sause you to have some clotting problems if too much is ingested.

Not do put a damper on yall (injury is always a great excuse to have a drink), but I would try to go with another form of pain relief before I start giving out booze.

I tend to think of the booze as more of a mental relief than a pain relief. Sometimes you just need a drink to help work it out. I'm all for it.

If the meds yo do have or the booze doesn't help with the pain, you still have to work on the wound.

My suggestion: If one is available, in order to take the focus of pain away from the affected area, bring a hammer down on a hand or another body part. That should re-focus the victims pain receptors.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Do you have a robot?
    It would also get the attention of the other complainer who is next in line.........

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    Guys, keep in mind that the booze can sause you to have some clotting problems if too much is ingested.

Not do put a damper on yall (injury is always a great excuse to have a drink), but I would try to go with another form of pain relief before I start giving out booze.

I tend to think of the booze as more of a mental relief than a pain relief. Sometimes you just need a drink to help work it out. I'm all for it.

If the meds yo do have or the booze doesn't help with the pain, you still have to work on the wound.

My suggestion: If one is available, in order to take the focus of pain away from the affected area, bring a hammer down on a hand or another body part. That should re-focus the victims pain receptors.
    lol... amazing! Simply amazing! :P

I think having any alcohol, it should be a very high proof as it has more uses than just drinking...

I'll most likely shit myself

Damn Izzy, make sure I never let you work on me! I can see why you never made it at Med school.