Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transportation Points to Ponder

For the Love of Cats

They're not so tough... just hit a truckstop and wait. someone will pull in, leave it running and walk into the store. slide on over, and take the helm!

lol
    Seriously, I learnt to drive big rig by hitch hiking cross country.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I worked for a company that had a few used for delivery of some large items. I worked nights and would have to move them in and out of the shop. Granted I'm not going to win any tractor pull but I could get it where I was headed.
    Last edited by LUNCHBOX; 01-24-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

The hot sexy one

Granted I'm not going to win any tracker pull but I could get it where I was headed.
    Just figure.............Use 5.5 mile to the gallon as your base number to estimate the distance you can travel on full tanks..Most get better mileage, but there are a few that don't.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

^^With that comment, I meant that my shifting technique is less than smooth but I like the information on the mileage. Thanks.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

The hot sexy one

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    They're not so tough... just hit a truckstop and wait. someone will pull in, leave it running and walk into the store. slide on over, and take the helm!

lol
    Seriously, I learnt to drive big rig by hitch hiking cross country.
    Good in theory , times have changed............Homeland Security is pushing for the trucking industry to have real time tracking on trucks, pretty much all companies are slowly enacting security measures. There several different systems out there to shut the truck down via computer or driver handheld remote, especially those who handle the hazardous / flammable cargo...Even engine manufactuors are building it into the engine ECM, so you can real time monitor your equipment and adjust parameters or troubleshoot on the fly .. Hell ..........even buy here , pay here car lots are putting remote shutdowns on the cars they sell..

For the Love of Cats

^ true that!!

We have hundreds of thousands of pounds of materials delivered and picked up from my work each day, except for the small delivery pickup trucks, we can online track where almost every truck is, including a lot of the city runners. Sux for the drivers though, they can't even stop for a coffee or a leak without someone knowing

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    Makes me wish my parent's still had their semi... lol

Seriously though, I should have learned how to drive that thing when I had the chance.
    Just like driving a manual pick up truck...only bigger and a lot more gears. If you can drive a manual you can drive a big rig....just remember that on the road "he who weighs more has the right of way" so you never have to slow down first!!!!
    I apologize for nothing...

I'll most likely shit myself

That and having to allow much more. Space for turns and lane changes. When i first got into driving a rig, i almost pulled a 53' flatbed over this guys hood up in Baltimore. I wish i had a picture of his face,priceless.

Re: Transportation Points to Ponder

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    /snip
    Practice changing your tires. On uneven ground
    /snip

Best advice... If you have a 4X4 as your BOV... go out and play 'stuck' Get a couple people together with 4X4's get some tow straps, and get out and see what your rig can and can't do before you need to rely on it for your life.

IMO
    Brother, I'm pickin up what you're puttin down but I gotta disagree with that first lil bit. Raising a vehicle on uneven ground can be very dangerous. Three tires & a jack can have surprisingly little traction & stability on the slightest of grades... more so if the ground is wet. While certain provisions can be made to minimize the risk such as securing the vehicle with straps, chains & even ropes, risk of the vehicle falling off its perch are high. If one has the option, in any regard, even if it means temporary makeshift repair to get there, one should attempt to maneuver the vehicle onto a firm, level ground before jacking.

Your second point is spot on & right up my alley. I love off-roading & am very active in the local off-road scene & as my crowd tends to push their rigs (some highly modified, most moderately so) we get to run a lot of winch lines, snatch blocks & straps. Once in a great while we'll have to pull off a multi-line pull with multiple winches & vehicles to complete the recovery, be it the side of a hill, the bottom of a mud hole~ or the low tide line... good times!

For the Love of Cats

I still stand by my statement... You don't always have the luxury of blowing a tire on smooth level pavement. If you're into 4wheelin, you know yourself. Sure it isn't the safest way, but I'd rather learn by doing it when it wasn't critical than when it was. If you're on a slope, chock your tires well, support your jack, even tying it in place. Make sure you or your parts don't go underneath, nor in a crush zone, get the old one off, and the new one on, quick... but safe.

Probably something like 70%+ of the roads I regularly traverse are not paved, and many of them little more than 1-1/2 lane mud. and that is if I'm behaving myself. When I am out hunting, all bets are off as to where I may have to change a tire. Including on the ice on the middle of a lake or river.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.