Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transportation Points to Ponder

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

Transportation Points to Ponder

Many here will be Bugging Out should the Schummer Hit the Fan, here are some points to ponder in no particular order.

1. If you are bugging out from and urban area plan on the trip taking 4x as long, unless you are the first one leaving.
    2. Radiators are not bullet proof, and doors provide little protection in a firefight.
    3. Exposed fuel containers are bullet magnets.
    4. Have easy access to the spare tire(s)
    5.Ground clearence is measured from the lowest projection of the under carriage
    6. 4 wheel drive is not 4 wheel traction
    7. Plan on walking a lot.
    8. The shortest way there is the slowest way there.
    9. When in doubt, stop and look at the map.
    Last edited by Stg1swret; 11-25-2011 at 11:47 PM.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I have bugged out from a bunch of hurricanes, and hope to never have to do it again. A 2 hour drive took 12 hours. I moved away from the coast, to a place I hope to be able to bug in.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    I have bugged out from a bunch of hurricanes, and hope to never have to do it again. A 2 hour drive took 12 hours. I moved away from the coast, to a place I hope to be able to bug in.
    Christ... hurricanes - you would think the sheeple would be at least marginally prepared for them in of all places, FLORIDA...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

One that could be added to your list:

If you are likely to drive your vehicle off-road it is probably wise to try driving it off-road beforehand to see how well it performs instead of waiting until being in the middle of a shtf event.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

nothing like high-centering your vic the first time you try to go off-road in an emergency.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    nothing like high-centering your vic the first time you try to go off-road in an emergency.
    oye, got this post wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off!
    Last edited by Twitchy; 11-27-2011 at 10:53 PM.
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by vertstang86 View Post
    Crown Vics are indestructible though... However, I prefer Silverado's or Suburbans! 4x4 of course...

vic= Army talk for vehicle
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    vic= Army talk for vehicle
    well i feel like a retard about now...

Quote Originally Posted by vertstang86 View Post
    well i feel like a retard about now...

I should have been more clear.........nothing against the crown vic

For the Love of Cats

Great info!

Also remember... the more weight you put into your vic, the less clearance you have. So if you're going to test out your rig offroading, do it with a similar load to what you expect to be bugging out with.

Make sure your tires are load-rated for what you expect to be carrying! and your shocks/springs/axles/differentials. I do some serious upgrades to my trucks when I first buy them, and have scaled my 1/4 ton Tacoma with over 2500 pounds in the box. My buddy has the same truck as my last one, unmodifies, and he bottomed out with less than 1300.

Tires... it was mentioned to have THEM handy... that's right... plural! You will be SOL with 2 flats. Leave the one under the vehicle where it is... just add a couple more somewhere handier. the third can be an emergency one.

Practice changing your tires. On uneven ground, in inclement weather. Just because you can rotate them in your garage with a wall full of tools doesn't mean you can do it at night, in the rain, on a mud road. And now do it as if the hounds of hell are barking up your ass.

The only exposure a lot of people have to 4x4ing is what they see on TV, even though they drive one to work and to the mall everyday. Do not believe what you see on tv... They are not indestructible machines that can do anything!

No, you cannot bounce over curbs at 50 MPH.
    No, you cannot jump overpasses.
    No, you cannot push down 6" trees.
    No, you cannot rip in and out of ditches at 50 MPH.
    No, you cannot splash through 3-4 foot deep creeks at 50 MPH.

Yes, you can slowly crawl over just about anything (that your clearance will allow)
    Yes, you can push down 3 inch trees
    Yes, the same trees that you just pushed down will drag right across your undercarriage, tearing brake lines, fuel lines, etc.
    Yes, 2 or three of those trees will lift your vehicle off the ground and strand you.
    Yes, you can crawl through 3-4 feet of water (depending on your vehicle)
    Yes, you can crawl in and out of ditches. but remember the angles you are utilizing. 30-60 is best. 45 is optimal. A shallow attempt can cause a rollover. and too steep an attempt can get you stuck.

Best advice... If you have a 4X4 as your BOV... go out and play 'stuck' Get a couple people together with 4X4's get some tow straps, and get out and see what your rig can and can't do before you need to rely on it for your life.

IMO