Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Silly kitchen tricks

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    My wife has problems with eating too much beef, especially greasy beef, at one time, it'll tear her up for a couple days. So, she's taken to experimenting with different "standbys".
    She always makes her own spaghetti sauce, but will put ground turkey in it instead of ground beef. Or, ground Italian sausage and ground turkey, half and half.

The same thing with rice. Cook up some rice, add ground beef, or ground turkey, or Italian sausage. You can even cut up Kielbasa sausage, either regular or turkey. Season to taste and enjoy, You add vegetables if desired. It can be made days in a row, never the same twice, using staples either canned yourself, or put by.
    Anybody here with kids where both parents work at least fulltime should be pretty creative at throwing together quick, easy meals.
    We are big on eating bison. It is very low in fat and very healthy for you. Has she tried that? Maybe her system could handle eating it instead of beef? We love it.

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    She always makes her own spaghetti sauce, but will put ground turkey in it instead of ground beef. Or, ground Italian sausage and ground turkey, half and half.
    This almost made me choke! I am sitting here eating breakfast of leftover spaghetti with 1/2 turkey and 1/2 spicy italian sausage in the sauce. I made it a couple days ago for supper.

ETA: does she eat wild meat? it is MUCH lower in fat as well!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    We are big on eating bison. It is very low in fat and very healthy for you. Has she tried that? Maybe her system could handle eating it instead of beef? We love it.
    where do you even get bison?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

For the Love of Cats

There are bison/buffalo ranches all over. plus you can get it online too

Tennessee Buffalo Ranches - EatBisonMeat.com

or just google "bison, Tennessee" and you'll get some different Ranches that raise them for consumption.

I buy from a local guy for $300.00 on the hoof for a yearling.

Queen of the Doom Room
    Made an Asian marinade today and came across two more I do...

Ginger Root will keep for *years* in the freezer. Two weeks ago I threw away the last little nub of a root I bought about six years earlier. It was still fine but was getting pretty small and I found a beautiful new root at the produce market so I tossed the old one. No wrapping required...just toss in a baggie and freeze. When ready to use, tap off any ice crystals and use a sharp knife to cut away the exposed area that might be dried out.

If you have a recipe that calls for equal amounts of Oil and Honey (or anything sticky), measure the Oil first then Honey. The remaining Oil will coat the measuring device and *all* the Honey will come out without having to scrape it out. Often, since I have my Oil bottles on the counter, if I just need some Honey or Syrup, I'll dribble some Oil on my finger, wipe it through my measuring cup or spoon then measure out the Honey. It pours right out so my measurements are exact.

For the Love of Cats

WoW!!!

some great tricks... keep em coming... it may seem simple to you... but we`ve not thought of it....

go people go!

Queen of the Doom Room
    Ok, here's ANOTHER one I did today...

Leavening agents like Baking Soda and Baking Powder will eventually go bad but I knew there was a way to test them. Since we are heading towards our Winter weather I wanted a couple of batches of Ready-To-Go Cornbread mixes for Chili and Bean/Soup dinners but the expiration date on my Baking Powder was 2009. I had to Google it and found the following...mix 1 teaspoon with 1/2 Cup Hot Water. If it bubbles/foams immediately, the Powder is still good. Mine did, so I made four baggies of pre-mixed Cornbread with instructions for the wet ingredients and baking instructions. **This test is only for Baking Powder...not Baking Soda. Hopefully it's accurate and my Cornbread will rise.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Oh yes, we definitely eat wild meat, just don't ever get any. The last venison we had had been killed by someone who can't shoot. It was shot up, not shot, and had apparently run across a county or two. About all it was good for was tire retreading.

Never tried Bison. Shipping is probably a killer on it, though, since I don't think anybody here on the coast raises it.

For the Love of Cats

There's a few in Virginia... like:

Melrose Bison Farm

Or, closer to the coast...

Wild-T-Bison ยป Contact Us

Queen of the Doom Room
    Here's a silly one...

I made Raven's bread today and was reminded of this...whenever I make bread I use a shower cap instead of a towel to cover my bowl during the rise. It helps keep some of the warmth and moisture in the bowl helping the rise and keeps the top of the dough from forming a skin.