Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Silly kitchen tricks

A laugh a minute
    sorry I am late on seeing this but here are the new links.
    http://www.homemadeginger.com/2010/0...oth-wipes.html

http://www.homemadeginger.com/2009/1...e-cleaner.html

http://www.homemadeginger.com/2009/1...detergent.html

http://www.homemadeginger.com/2011/0...d-laundry.html

http://www.homemadeginger.com/2011/0...-softener.html

- - - Updated - - -

Eucalyptus Disinfecting Soap Recipe

5 cups grated castile soap
    6 cups hot peppermint tea, made with 6 tablespoons fresh peppermint or with 6 to 12 tea bags
    1/2 cup baking soda
    1 teaspoon borax
    1 teaspoon eucalyptus essential oil

http://homesteadsurvival.blogspot.co...ucalyptus.html
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    My contribution is not too flashy, but I use biscuits that are ready to bake for my dumplings. Dont get the flaky kind, or any with butter mixed in... just plain old biscuits. Works great with chicken & dumplings when you dont have time to make from scratch.

EB

For the Love of Cats

Some of these are just awesome!!!

http://thechive.com/2012/12/06/kitch...ers-33-photos/

all this time I've been eating flat pizzas when I could be eating crust cups full of toppings *drool*

Can someone pass me a pizza-straw??
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 01-31-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

A laugh a minute
    WHAT TO DO WITH COFFEE FILTERS

Coffee filters .... Who knew! And you can buy 1,000 at the Dollar Tree for almost nothing even the large ones.

1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave. Coffee filters make excellent covers.

2. Clean windows, mirrors, and chrome... Coffee filters are lint-free so they'll leave windows sparkling.

3. Protect China by separating your good dishes with a coffee filter between each dish.

4. Filter broken cork from wine. If you break the cork when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a coffee filter.

5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.

6. Apply shoe polish. Ball up a lint-free coffee filter.

7. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.

8. Weigh chopped foods. Place chopped ingredients in a coffee filter on a kitchen scale.

9. Hold tacos. Coffee filters make convenient wrappers for messy foods.

10. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through the drainage holes.

11.. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke one or two holes as needed in a coffee filter.

12. Do you think we used expensive strips to wax eyebrows? Use strips of coffee filters..

13. Put a few in a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc on them. It soaks out all the grease.

14. Keep in the bathroom. They make great "razor nick fixers."

15. As a sewing backing. Use a filter as an easy-to-tear backing for embroidering or appliqueing soft fabrics.

16. Put baking soda into a coffee filter and insert into shoes or a closet to absorb or prevent odors.

17. Use them to strain soup stock and to tie fresh herbs in to put in soups and stews.

18. Use a coffee filter to prevent spilling when you add fluids to your car.

19. Use them as a spoon rest while cooking and clean up small counter spills.

20. Can use to hold dry ingredients when baking or when cutting a piece of fruit or veggies.. Saves on having extra bowls to wash.

21. Use them to wrap Christmas ornaments for storage.

22. Use them to remove fingernail polish when out of cotton balls.

23. Use them to sprout seeds.. Simply dampen the coffee filter, place seeds inside, fold it and place it into a plastic baggie until they sprout.

24. Use coffee filters as blotting paper for pressed flowers. Place the flowers between two coffee filters and put the coffee filters in phone book..

25. Use as a disposable "snack bowl" for popcorn, chips, etc.

Not just for coffee--
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

For the Love of Cats

moderate necro-post... but I just HAD to...

I love beets, and typically grow bulls blood beets, which inarguable are the juiciest stainiest wettest available, but also the sweetest and tastiest - imo.

Previously I cover my whole kitchen island with newspapers (NY Sunday Times thick, and I process uber carefully to not get juice anywhere)

This year, I was smoking dinner this past weekend and got drawn in trying to maintain a difficult temp, so I slipped off and pulled my beets, and took them back to base to clean while I monitored the smoker.
    I shook off as much dirt as I could but just threw them into buckets.

I set up a 'station' by the smoker, and broke off excess dirt and sliced their throats and asses, and then tossed into pots of cold water. I abused them with a stick for a couple days until I had time to process (to knock off the remaining dirt)

After 2 days, of stirring and changing water, (once a day each, when I remembered...)

I dumped them in a sink of cold water and with a plastic scrubby pad I brushed off the dirt; and tossed them into a pot, changing the water when I couldn't see the bottom.

I par boiled them for 40 min (whole), and then slotted spoon them back into a sink full of clean cold water. A quick firm rub, with a few fingernail encouragements, peeled full sinks full of beets with a couple water changes/scoops... but...
    and here is the kicker... by processing in water... my hands are completely clean. no staining, no mess no fuss no bother. too awesome!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have a robot?
    When people talk about smoking dinner around here they are talking about getting loaded...........

Again slicing throats and asses and then putting them in a tube of cold water, are you sure you have nothing to do with the mafia????

We just wash the beets, boiling them up and skin them. Nitrile gloves work and are faster..........
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

For the Love of Cats

nitrile gloves??? I'm sure that keeps your nail polish intact even while doing big boy chores! Not having 'blood red' stained hands at work is one thing, you being worried about breaking a nail is something completely different!

Whether it be beets, bunnies, kitties or ????... slice the throat and ass, and wait til juices run clear... season and smoke! Serve with rice pilaf! Nothing 'Mafia' there unless you keep watching... move along now, you're watching something that you have no business watching!

Are you still here? shoo!

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    When people talk about smoking dinner around here they are talking about getting loaded...........

Again slicing throats and asses and then putting them in a tube of cold water, are you sure you have nothing to do with the mafia????

We just wash the beets, boiling them up and skin them. Nitrile gloves work and are faster..........
    I'm more concerned with him "abusing them with a stick". I think that's in violation of the Geniva Convention.

Do you have a robot?
    I have delicate hands, don't you know. Not really. Beets are so easy. I pick them and the wife cleans and guts them.....no abuse here....
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

For the Love of Cats

lol... wait until you hear about my carrots... I broke my beet stick on them bad ass boys! Geneva? In this part of Canada, Geneva is a type of hot sauce!