Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatchet selection

GunnerMax

Hatchet selection

Christmas is coming up, and I want a good hatchet that meet these criteria: less than $50, hammer nails, cut wood, good grip, can find a sheath to fit on my MOLLE gear, and will last a long time. Can you guys go through your bookmarks/favorite sites and post links, and I will send those links to the wonderful wife as "hints"

Thanks guys/gals

I'll most likely shit myself

Here is some of my favorite ax's/hatchet's.

Estwing Sportsman's Axe (with Sheath)

For the Love of Cats

Um... noééé

Seriously... I have never found a practical use for a hatchet.... I would take a machete anyday.

GunnerMax
    A machete cannot cut wood well.

Please keep in mind that I read the "saw vs hatchet" topic and made my decision

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMax View Post
    A machete cannot cut wood well.

Please keep in mind that I read the "saw vs hatchet" topic and made my decision
    I think I missed that thread... but seriously... I`ll put my machete up against anyone here, to knock down a tree, buck it up, and maintain a fire. properly used... I have never seen a hatchet out perform a machete.!

No offence... and I am always willing to learn... but....

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

lol<

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    I think I missed that thread... but seriously... I`ll put my machete up against anyone here, to knock down a tree, buck it up, and maintain a fire. properly used... I have never seen a hatchet out perform a machete.!

No offence... and I am always willing to learn... but....

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

lol<
    But can it hammer a nail into wood like a hatchet?

I do believe i would prefer a hatchet to a machete, but that is because i've used them in the past... Stick to what your comfortable with is what i say!
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Crotch Rocket

I'd recommend the Gerber Back Paxe and say just add the MOLLE-loks that izzy linked for me in the RYO thread to convert the stock sheath to MOLLE. That should come in pretty close to/ under your budget requirements, and be able to chop/ hammer as needed.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Crotch Rocket

Or do the same conversion with the Estwing? I don't know how their covers/ sheaths are made, but do know I love their hammers. I'd think any of their products would be good to go.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

GunnerMax
    I shot estwing an email asking their price. I am glad 2 people like their products.

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

I have 3 different Gerber axes and they all have performed well for me. I would not hesitate to buy another.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton