Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USMC Combat Tent Review

Crotch Rocket

Lol! Was it that apparent I was drooling over this? I'd have to redirect suspicion on that and say I put it up in the rain to test its weatherproofing...
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    Lol! Was it that apparent I was drooling over this? I'd have to redirect suspicion on that and say I put it up in the rain to test its weatherproofing...
    when we first saw them, Lunchbox and I both agreed that they would be right up your alley. We anticipated your every thought........
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

I just got a good laugh out of that! I guess that means I've done a good job communicating my interests and activities in the past...

On a related side note, I said in my first post its weight within my pack would keep me within SAS guidelines on the subject. I double checked my book last night and found out I was wrong. The author cited the Royal Marines as his source. Their standard is that a pack shouldn't exceed 25% of the bearers body weight. This is where the weight of individual components, like this tent, factors in.

Just some loosely associated, slightly on topic, food for thought on this.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I love these tents, even if I haven't unpacked mine in...5? 6 years? But you, Izzy, I HATE.

$100 for the brandy-new tent AND bivy tent? WTF? Are they selling off the whole frakkin war wholesale? I paid $250!

Quote Originally Posted by Kutter-0311 View Post
    I love these tents, even if I haven't unpacked mine in...5? 6 years? But you, Izzy, I HATE.

$100 for the brandy-new tent AND bivy tent? WTF? Are they selling off the whole frakkin war wholesale? I paid $250!

SOmetimes even a blind horse can find water....or a good deal!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I got mine back in 2005 I think, and there weren't really a whole lot available, so I count myself lucky to have got one at all. It was the best deal I could find, and I was pretty happy just to have such a great tent. I'd used one on the Big Island when we were at PTA and on Okinawa when we were at JWTC, and they really impressed me. Very sturdy for the weight, very flexible in use, very easy to set up and tear down. The only hard thing is getting the poles situated sometimes. That's easier with 2 people, but 1 person can do it with some practice.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Ok, so I guess the common consensus is that we are hoping that Lunchbox can score more of these then I take it? If you can at that same or close to same price point, put me in for 1!

When we found them that trip, I don't think that the store owner had a clue as to what they were. Hopefully he has some more and hasn't figured it out on the next run.

I could use a couple more

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I used mine again last weekend, on a weekend outing (spring FTX).
    We arrived Fri evening, to leave Sun early afternoon. The rains arrived Sat afternoon just about 5pm. It rained through the evening and night, and off and on Sun am.
    In fact, it started raining in earnest as I was taking down the tent, so now its' actually wet.
    The tent is great, I need a new sleeping setup. For the second time, the sleep pad was disappointing.
    For the second time, the sleeping bag was a failure.

When the rain started, the 1919 was so hot it took almost an hour before the rain hitting the barrel didn't steam off.