Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USMC Combat Tent Review

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

USMC Combat Tent Review

So the wife went to a movie, which resulted in me babysitting the twins. They wanted to go outide to play, so I figured it would be a great time to erect them a playhouse......Izzy style.

The Combat tent was originally built by two manufacturers (Eureka and Diamond). Both tents are nearly identical. You can do a search for the Eureka brand and find positive reviews all day long on Google, but as of yet there have been only a handful of reviews on the Diamond Brand. The general consensus is that The Eureka is a better build, indeed the tent fetches about $25-$75 more EBAY. Well, having seen both, used both. I am here to tell you that the consensus is wrong. The Diamond Brand has just as aswesome as the Eureka.

From Diamond's website
    A two-man, three-season, free standing, double wall tent. The tent has a vapor permeable tent body with a fully water proof reversible rain fly. All tent floor and rain fly seams are factory taped for water proofing. The rain fly can be used independently of the tent body with poles and stakes as a "hooch."
    • Ventilation for use in arid desert and humid conditions to minimize build up of condensation
    • Rain fly prevents escape of light and provides protection against visual and infrared detection
    • Rain fly can be used in conjunction with tent or separate as a "hooch"
    I purchased my Combat Tent on one of me and Lunchbox's gear runs. They can occasionally be had for as low as $75, but thats a rare find. Prices tend to be in the $75-$125 range. I found mine new in a surplus shop and, after some awesome haggling by LUNCHBOX, I walked away with this one AND the single man bivy version brand new for $100 for both tents. It was an absolute steal. These 2 tents had never been opened. Considering Uncle Sam pays about $500 for the tent, I figured I pretty much stole it.

I had actually been issued one of these before I deployed to Iraq (Army getting USMC gear.... I know, right?) and absolutely loved it the ONE time I had a chance to use it. The issued tent I had was the Eureka version. I had always swore that if I ever had the chance, I'd get another one.

I'm very impressd with the construction, and it was freakin easy to put up. It comes with some stakes that are absolutely hunorshus. I had half a mind to put some on my plate carrier for stabbing zombies, vampires, or whatever. This is just the kind of thing you give to Tunnelrat........just to see how long it takes to die.
    Ease of erection was a nine out of ten. The reason for not being a 10 of 10 is the pole receivers are sometimes difficult.
    Save for that (and the weight) this is the ideal 4 season tent.

Last edited by izzyscout21; 12-01-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

Babysitting, yeah right! Looks more like playing to me. I love it.

The Eureka products have been really good stuff for backpacking for years. I'm not familiar with Diamond products. Good review BTW.

How much does the tent weigh? I have a Kelty Windfoil 2 4 season tent. It weighs about 8lb's.

about 9 lbs. give or take. I prolly wouldn't take it backpacking, but I'd definitely use it for car camping or for SHTF if I were in a static position for any extended period of time.

about 9 lbs. give or take. I prolly wouldn't take it backpacking, but I'd definitely use it for car camping or for SHTF if I were in a static position for any extended period of time. OR, if you just want a camo tent......this would be my vote.

I'll most likely shit myself

I gotta find one of them for the truck for bugging out.

Crotch Rocket

I tried liking that but my phone just isn't cooperating! I'm pretty sure my unit in Missouri got issued these just before I PCS'ed - or one size larger if there is such a thing.

Either way, I'm about to make a note on what it is, so I don't forget, because I'd eventually love to get my hands on one. If memory serves I've got my pack weight at 30-35 pounds, and that is primarily all shelter weight anyway, so after reconfiguring some things I'd be just over 40 pounds with this... According to SAS standards thats still within a manageable weight limit, so I might just be dumb enough to try packing it.

My Eureka Solitaire is nice, and hammocks have held some appeal lately, but both are very limited on space. Conversely, my current 4 person tent is lacking in protection from cold... The ability to sit up and move around some, especially in inclement weather, would be downright luxurious. So yeah, this would fill a known void. Thanks for the review izzy, but, can I have it? lol...
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Hhmm, one of those would be nice for the room.
    I have one of the Eureka TCOP one man tents, and it is awesome, but not much room in it.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Easy guys, it might be a few months but I'll keep my eye out for some on my next trip. Izzy, they do look nice set up.
    Last edited by LUNCHBOX; 12-02-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.