Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabbits

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

They will not be in a tractor, just in these cages elevated above the ground. I may build an enclosure for them later that lets them run around on the ground, but will see how I like them first.

Garden? I'll show you a garden....
    Ummmmm you do realize that babies will not be butchering weight as soon as they are off their mother? She will wean them by three to four weeks...and they won't be butcher weight until 14-16 wks.....

Depends on the breed. Some are supposed to be butchered immediately.

Garden? I'll show you a garden....
    You're going to butcher rabbits at 4 weeks old? Someone is lying to you my friend no rabbit gets butcher weight by 4 weeks old.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensgrove View Post
    You're going to butcher rabbits at 4 weeks old? Someone is lying to you my friend no rabbit gets butcher weight by 4 weeks old.

According to a few places, including Texas A&M, for the 4H program. I would take Texas A&M's word on it. They do have one of the best Ag programs in the country.

Does not recommend blowing rocks up yourself

I've raised rabbits for quite some time now. Mostly California and New Zealand types, but by no means registered. I live too far off the beaten path to make raising rabbits commercially viable so I just raise them for my neighbors and myself.

I use hardware wood frame with hardware cloth (1/4" sq. wire) for the cages. Yes, they are a pain to clean unless I stay at it on a regular schedual.

My does keep their litter with them for four to six weeks and I let the does rest for about two weeks after seperating the doe from the litter. The litter is usually ready to harvest at ten to twelve weeks. (they won't be a large as some would want but they sure are tender)

I've had pretty good luck with my does staying healthy and the litters growing to an acceptable weight.

I'm going to have to look at Texas A&M's site. Four weeks is hard to fathom.

JMO
    Doug

Got the link to A&M's site, but trying to find the part first. My internet is so slow with a PDF file. The bottom of my cages is 1/2"X1" wire, went with this also because of info from A&M. Sides are 1"X1".

Here is the site.

http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/library/fil...nce_manual.pdf

It wasn't my internet, it was the broweser I was using. Opened up fast when I switched to google chrome. Anyways if you go to page 9 it says this "
    Weaning
    When rabbits are about 3 weeks old, they
    leave the box and eat with their mother. Do not
    wean until the young are 8 to 10 weeks old.
    They should be butchered immediately.
    Prospective breeders can be left with the doe
    a few days, although it is unnecessary beyond
    10 weeks. The doe can be rebred a week before
    weaning the litter

Does not recommend blowing rocks up yourself

Thank you helomech for the PDF. I didn't read it all but will earmark it for later.

I got a little confused about the harvest time we were talking about in the thread. Harvesting the young at 8 to 10 weeks is more in line with my thinking.

I like to seperate the doe from the litter for a week or two to help my does recover before being rebred. I feel it keep the does heathy and breedable longer.

The 1x1 wire size seems to be asking for injurys to their feet and legs IMO. I can see where it would make for easier cleaning.

Thanks again for the PDF.

JMO
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Foghorn View Post
    Thank you helomech for the PDF. I didn't read it all but will earmark it for later.

I got a little confused about the harvest time we were talking about in the thread. Harvesting the young at 8 to 10 weeks is more in line with my thinking.

I like to seperate the doe from the litter for a week or two to help my does recover before being rebred. I feel it keep the does heathy and breedable longer.

The 1x1 wire size seems to be asking for injurys to their feet and legs IMO. I can see where it would make for easier cleaning.

Thanks again for the PDF.

JMO
    Doug
    The wire on the bottom is 1/2X1, not 1X1. It is what is recommended everywhere I could find.