Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Survival Drive"

Red face The "Survival Drive"

Something every survivalist should have in my opinion. Basically, you take a "Jump" or "Thumb" Drive (Those little memory drives you plug into your computer, they range in size from 1g and up I believe now.). Scan all your important documents, load them onto the drive, and throw it in your BOB. SHTF might be completely localized to you, where you don't have time to throw your important paperwork in the car/bag. This way you can have it neatly tucked inside a little electronic wonder the size of a pack of gum (or less!). When you reach a non afflicted area, you can reprint out what documents you need (Insurance, copies of licenses, birth certificates, the skys the limit). On mine I keep mine and my families birth certificates, my drives license (and various other licenses), my social security card, ect. Id go the extra step of putting it in a ziplock before storing it away in your pack (unless you have one of the hard core waterproof models) that way if your BOB gets wet it doesnt kill your little gizmo.

I'll most likely shit myself

They go all the way to 128gb now, basically a small hard drive. This is an excellent idea. In addition to waterproofing I would suggest containing it in something emp proof as well. I haven't figured out yet how best to do that.

Premium Member

Wrap in aluminum foil, inside an altoid can, inside more aluminum foil. Beyond that, I don't know any suggestions.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

I have all mine on both a Kingston Technology Company - Flash Memory - DataTraveler Vault - Privacy Edition and a secure remote Black Data Server that I can access all over the world.

Staff

Way to go GR! I picked that trick up from a guy who was tilted out of whack by katrina. He outlined how when he got to houston(from NOLA) he had essentially no way to prove:
    Who he was
    His education
    certifications
    experience
    ownership of belongings(for insurance and claims reasons)
    And so much more. This is a subject near and dear to my heart,being a retired Military and having to draw upon benefits and all. I am also keeping my Education,certifications and pdf's and photo's on a 8g thmb drive,I reccommend this to students in ALL of my classes.
    It's only a wuss caliber until I shoot you with it!

I'll most likely shit myself

This thread is absolutly an important topic. I have a friend who is an IT guy. he uses thumb drives a lot. based on his recommendation I am putting my stuff on multiple drives and spreading them around, both mine and the wife's GHB, BOB, & a couple of ammo cans that will be along in a BO. I would also suggest leaving one with a close friend or family member that's not located near to you.
    Also for the BOB and GHB I am using a small dry bah used for electronics when kayaking.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

This is a very good idea since you don't need the internet to use it. I have three with the same info on each....pics, copies of documents, survival info, contacts/maps. (you get the idea) You can put anything you think might be of use to you. I would even recommend you put one in a hidey-hole in your bug out location.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I just use a cd-rom that is re-done and the old one destroyed every 6 months, I only keep them in the vehicles (locked in a safe) I do wanna do a USB stick in the near future, I always figured a USB stick would be vulnerable to EMP etc. I just somehow killed my cd burner, so USB it is from now on.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

If we suffer a global EMP attack, then it does not matter. Nothing will stand to read any computer format. Hell, even windows won't exist anymore.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Zombiepost rises.............

thought it might be good to take another look.

Izzy
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.