Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Garden planning

I'll most likely shit myself

2012 Garden planning

I thought I'd try to get a read on everyone's thoughts on where they plan to get their garden seed for this year.? Do you plan on trying some new companies this year or just stick with tried and true places you have already done buisness with?

For me I will be ordering the bulk of my seed from Baker Creek.
    Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - 1400 heirloom garden seeds!
    I used them the last couple years and have been very happy with the quality and results from their seed. They have some good standards and a lot of various varities that you don't run across everyday. I have been impressed with them.

I will probably also order a few items from Seed Savers Exchange
    Seed Savers Exchange
    Southern Exposure Seed Exchange
    Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Saving the Past for the Future
    Totally Tomatos
    totallytomatos.com: The Leading Fruit Site on the Net
    and maybe Vermont Bean Company
    Garden Seed | Vegetable Garden Seed | Garden Seed Catalog | Garden Seed Company | Vermont Bean

Totally Tomatos has a great selection of tomatos of all shapes, sizes, and required growing habits. Both SSE and SESE have a decent selection of Heirloom seeds from across the country and the world.

There are also a few things I pick up locally at a local hardware store and maybe some things at the Co-op. What's your plan?

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

I order from Territorial seeds in Oregon mainly because they're close and have the varieties I like. Baker Creek is also good. I may order from Vermont Bean and maybe TotallyTomatos, which is part of Vermont Bean I believe. They have the same mailing address.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

I wasn't aware TT and VB may be tied together. I've gotten stuff from TT before, but haven't from VB although they look like they have some decent stuff.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

One place we won't be buying from again is Heirloomseeds.com. We bought from them in the past and their quality control is very poor. Our corn came up with at least two if not three different verities from the same package, unopened seed packs had weevils and seeds were damaged and low germination rates.

We'll stick with the tried and true. Baker Creek and Peaceful Valley. We are also working on seed saving and have a few verities to replant this fall after we get our dreaded nematodes killed off by solarizing the soil in June-Aug.

For the Love of Cats

I buy all mine from a local company:
    Heritage Harvest Seed

EXCELLENT quality! and decent prices. Large orders get a % discount, and shipping thrown in too.

Sniper I assume their stuff is tailored to you local climate? I'm wanting to do a fall/winter garden this year and have been thinking about going with seed from a colder climate. I would think it would benifit me to go that route.

For the Love of Cats

yep... a lot of their stuff is 'cold resistant' or 'tolerant'

yikes... I need to start some seeds. In central TX here I can transplant in 6-8 weeks. I'm behind already.

Yeah probably so. I'm getting close to starting some stuff myself.

Welcome to the Forum BTW. There is some good info on here, and some really great folks. Jump in with both feet.

Where's the epi?

Ok, kind of weird here but any of you ever grown Osage Orange for a living fence?