Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OD vs Coyote Tan vs Black

In his experience the hammer head is better

Tan it is for me, goes with my multi-cam and blends well around here. Plus I can rattle can it and have a nice base before hand. It'll be tan for me for a long time to come. Black is a non natural color and shows well in the woods. It even shows much better on night vision which is something I don't want. Here's a example gun on the left had been spray painted gun on the right has black components...crazy how much it stands out. There's a reason all my guns are painted and I have very little black gear, and what I do have is painted.

I'll most likely shit myself

Wow! I wasn't aware that Black was so crappy. I've never had access to night vision and wasn't aware. Thanks for the input.

I learned it from another forum I am on. I did not take that pic. However I tried that after I saw it and its very scary how bad black is on a gun or yourself. So paint your shit!!

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Wow! I wasn't aware that Black was so crappy. I've never had access to night vision and wasn't aware. Thanks for the input.
    Yea, I didn't either until I saw similar pictures. I've also seen pictures of black rifles next to camouflaged ones out in the woods and no matter the vegetation type the black rife stood out like a sore thumb. That's when I started painting my guns.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

Damn! Somebody school me on paintin my stuff.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I suggest a paint scheme by the "Book of Pat (Rogers)".

I'll find you a link.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Basically you want to have your most prominent colors on top. If your ao is woodland then your greens will be the bulk of your painting, and your will use tan as a base so it shows the least. If your in a desert obviously you would go opposite. Plug your barrel and cover all the important parts. With my ar I pulled the BCG out and closed the dust cover and plugged the barrel and that was all I did.

I lay my base coat which is tan a few layers after cleaning the gun and rinsing with acetone. Then I use bristles from a broom and spread them over the gun and coat my greens next, then finish it with light touches of brown and dark greens. When all is said and done its a grassy pattern but it does blend pretty well. You can use netting, leaves, lines of paint, or just about anything to get patterns that work. Whatever can break up the outline will work.

The paint will chip over time but its easy to recoat. I look at the chips as character. I think I know the info Izzy is talking about however its in another forum and is specifically not allowed to be divulged. I will look into repainting my M1A and posting the process on here. Maybe even start a thread with peoples painted weapons...
    Last edited by apssbc; 01-28-2012 at 03:19 AM.

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

cool shit guys!

Claptrap's Problem Solver

I've used Aervoe spray paints on my guns. Got mine via dsgarms: Linky Dinky

Nice selection of colors and durable.

I will warn you that once you paint one you tend to end up painting quite a few. It's somewhat of a disease really.

If it gets warm enough today I may repaint my main AR and paint a helmet for a project I should probably complete.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I'll try to find another good guide to painting the guns. The Book of Pat, Armaments chapter 1 verse 1 clearly states that I'm not allowed to cross post it in another forum.

I've got another guide somewhere...........
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.