Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Move to Atlanta GA

Walking on Sunshine

Move to Atlanta GA

Need some advice for son 1 and wife. Thanks to king Ricky, they are relocating to Atlanta, GA area. They are looking for apartment probably north end. Both of them are in movie,tv biz and he has opportunity to FINALLY get steady work, DIL has been working as an accountant for shows, movies, so she works out of home so she can relocate easy. Son 1 is going down there to scope out areas next week or so. Anyone down that way that may have advice or ideas is much appreciated. They found an FBI site that talks about crime rates and a few realtor sites but he thinks it is best to go down and look around.
    They will need 2-3 bed apt. For when the kids come. He is NOT DIYer and does not want house to buy.
    Thanks all , appreciate any thing you can tell me.

I'll most likely shit myself

My nephew lives in Kennesaw. Maybe 25-30 miles north of Atlanta. He likes it there and had good luck finding apartments. He's actually got a bid on short sale house right now.
    He made the move down from kalamazoo last winter.

Crotch Rocket

I'm not familiar with the area at all, but a family friend lives down there, and something my dad noticed is pretty bad down there is dog theft, particularly the small breeds. Just a heads up in case they have one/ any. He said there were a ton of postings in the neighborhoods there for missing dogs, and when he was driving home a couple guys at a gas station tried getting his little Yorkie.

That was an interesting story, though it didn't go badly for anyone. Mostly due to his being on watch for that sort of thing from the signs.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Walking on Sunshine

Thanks backpacker, I'll let son know. Don't know how far outside city he actually wants to go. He's heard further south is pretty expensive that's why I think he is looking more north side.

Walking on Sunshine

Mtr,
    Thanks for the heads up. They don't have pets at this time as they do move about on the jobs. If it wasn't for Detroit 187, he would have been working on Drew Barrymore's movie about whales up Alaska's way last year and half ago. She had called son 1 but he couldn't get away. He worked on her movie Whip It and impressed her enough that she called him when she started to put together her crew for that movie.

I'll most likely shit myself

From what I have heard from the nephew nothing down there is cheap. It does vary however. Good luck to them both.

Walking on Sunshine

Thanks again. I appreciate the info. But I gotta tell you it's probably cheaper than moving to New York, which was the other area that looked promising for jobs.

Premium Member

I am an Atlanta native, born in Marietta, lived my whole life in Woodstock, about 30 minutes North of the city. Still go down once or twice a week for my kids. Kennesaw has a low crime rate, as it is law that every home must own a gun (unless you don't want to)...long story, I can explain later. Woodstock, GA in Cherokee County is a good area, not extremely cheap, but if their looking for an apartment, it can be done. Good city police force, good county sheriff's department. Just know it's a big city/county, so things happen.

Not that I'm an expert, but if you have any specific questions about an area, or anything else for that matter, list them, and I'll do my best to answer them.
    The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Walking on Sunshine

Thanks T, appreciate the info. Will let son1 know.

Premium Member

For a more 'rural' feel, and being further from the city, tell him to check into Canton, GA (still Cherokee County), or Ball Ground, or a little further north up I-575/515 into Jasper (Pickens County) is a good area. You're at the foothills of the Appalachian Mtns.
    The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.