Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIRE Acronym

Crotch Rocket

FIRE Acronym

"For Incidents Requiring Evacuation". I've never seen or heard this used before, but I was sitting at work the other night tweaking the layout of my GHB, and considering how the average person I speak to is either confused or mocking of the normal terms we use to describe our kit. Its usually pretty predictable too. I get regular questions on the need for a "GHB", and the usual juvenile tripe of "battery operated buddies" from the few people I've discussed BOB's with.

So, I wondered if there wasn't a KISS model I could follow, and FIRE is what I came up with. At their core, our GHB's and BOB's are designed to do the same thing: Aid us in movement from one location to another. I've yet to meet a person that doesn't understand the need to run from an out of control fire, and most people I've spoken to know somebody who's lost everything to one, so they can easily grasp the theory behind a grab-n-go kit for that.

Words matter. And I'm hoping the shift from prepper lingo to common terms will help me in my cause. Namely: Getting as many people as I can to make some level of preps, large or small.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

I like it. Makes sense to.

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

Good luck on that on trying to conversate on the prepping topic. I've quit trying.

Crotch Rocket

I'm pretty selective on how much I'll tell different people, but I'm too damn stubborn to give up altogether. Especially with family. I've made the most headway with my mom, she's now gardening. And my stepdad is looking at RE. That pretty much adds up to them taking a limited BI approach. My next trick with mom will be to upload all of her pictures onto a portable drive, which I'm hoping will open the door to a small evac kit or offsite storage for them.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Talking to people about prepping is tough.

Some people don't want to think about later this afternoon, let alone put energy into thinking three steps past today.

Some people just don't want to consider anything "negative".

Other people are too worried about being "cool" or playing at the rat race to think about prepping.

Other's have been turned off by paranoid lunatics who can't type a complete sentence, let alone articulate a reason for prepping. It's these assholes I hate the most.

So trying to talk to people about prepping is tough. You have to make a judgment call on whether the people would be open, choose your words carefully and not hit with them with too much information at once.

You also might consider turning them on to our website. Maybe real people talking about real prepping (and no internet warriors posting from mom's basement) will open their minds to the concept.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Had a scenario unfold that I wish I was smart enough to claim I staged.

Reality is that it just happened.

Because we just moved the prep-shelf is visiable to most. Everything is in plastic tubs but it's obvious "something" is organized and on that shelf. Among the contents are 6 plastic Jerry cans for water. A cousin recently asked what they were. I explained they were emergency water so if the water system failed we'd at least have something to filter and drink.

He said, "wow, that's a good idea. I'm going to do that".

Bingo...learning has occurred.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

Sometimes the unexpected or unplanned lessons are the best. Your cousin recognized something he needs so it will stick with him and hopefully spur action. It may also lead to other questions or opportunties for discussion later. + 1 in my mind.

Original Shack Daddy

One should ask why would you want to go out and extol the benefits of prepping. I can understand family, that some obviously care about. May be the same impetus for friends and coworkers. But to everyone?

Nah.

I really don't think we should go out and proselytize about the benefits of prepping, seeking converts. Let nature take its course, and let others broach the subject.

We all prep, because that's who we are. The same goes for car club guys. Our predisposition might have more beneficial value in the event of disaster, but until then it is essentially a lifestyle.

You just have to live your life, and in turn, let go, and allow others to live theirs.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

i just allow everyone to believe the PTSD is acting up..........

Quote Originally Posted by chicom View Post
    You just have to live your life, and in turn, let go, and allow others to live theirs.
    Yep.

If the cousin hadn't of seen my water containers I would have likely not brought up the subject.