Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocks and My imagination

A laugh a minute

Rocks and My imagination

I really have this imagination from hell thing going on. I see things in object that no one else can or I can think of a way to do something that no one else can. My DH is always laughing at me about this. But he is coming around little by little. When we are out 4 wheeling, I am always looking for things. Rocks, sticks, trees roots, what ever looks unusual to me.
    Even though we have two 4-wheelers, I ride with him in my baby seat as I call it. (a seat for the back with compartments) He is always saying to me why do we have to stop now. Because I see, something and I have to stop to get it. Crooked stick and pretty rock as I call them, a stump that looks weird I just have to have. Last winter I found a big rock that looked to me like a burlap bag full of something in it. That is why we stopped. To see what was in the bag. DH didn’t think it was a bag. All he saw was a very large rock I wanted to take home. We didn’t have anything to pick it up with so last summer we went back to get it and it was still there. It is now sitting all washed and clean on my stone walkway looking “Pretty” He now see’s the burlap bag when he looks at it. I also have a rock that to me looks like someone carved it to look like Fernando the Bull, remember him in the cartoon. When DH looks at it, he has yet to see bull. Also have a pistol looking rock that everyone can see, (even DH) and had a hatchet looking rock, but it broke when I tried to use it like one. Where I was going with this is that There are artifacts everywhere in the mountains here. Look closely at the rocks. When I first saw the creeks here, I told DH and am still telling him, that there is Gold in them thar hills! He just laughs and say’s if you hurry and find it we can afford to build faster. So as I am always walking in the creeks and looking at the rocks, looking for gold, I came across a rock that looked funny to me, so I threw it up on the bank to get it on my way back. Well DH comes up to me and says look what I found. Looks like some kind of stone spear or Knife. I look at it and ask him if he found it on the bank next to a crooked stump? He said yes I guess you found it first. So we took it home, cleaned it up, he examined it real close with a magnify glass and we looked on the internet under Indian artifacts/ small stone spears and knives. Well low and behold “I DID FIND GOLD IN THEM THAR HILLS. It is a spear head and worth $250.00. Now he doesn’t fuss to much about stopping for me or me walking to slow in the creeks. He helps look for GOLD in them ther hills.

Watch one, Do one, Teach one
    Taz can you post a picture.Depending on the technique and peroid of the knapping of the spear point,these points can go back to Paleo Indians(clovis),and worth more than you stated."Clovis"artifacts have been found in the East,actually more than in N.M.

For the Love of Cats

ditto!

we have many places around here where we collect artifacts, and I have a bunch of stuff from over the years. Do you also have a link to that website that you priced it?

I have a degree in Classical Archaeology, and spent a couple summers working in Greece. Doesn`t do much good around here, except for the training to keep the eyeball to the ground, and watch for anything that doesn`t look `natural`.

Keep poking around!

if you`re looking for gold, pay particular attention to the large rocks in your stream, and even more particularly on the down stream side of them. gold is heavy but might be carried over or around the rock, only to settle into the bottom behind the rock in the eddy.

A laugh a minute
    Quote Originally Posted by IDTANDY View Post
    Taz can you post a picture.Depending on the technique and peroid of the knapping of the spear point,these points can go back to Paleo Indians(clovis),and worth more than you stated."Clovis"artifacts have been found in the East,actually more than in N.M.
    I will as soon as I can. Only internet I have on the BOL is the phone. But
    am headed to Fla in 2 Weeks. Will try to get pic sooner tho

For the Love of Cats

if it is easier to email a pic, you can do that and I will post it for you???

A laugh a minute
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    ditto!

we have many places around here where we collect artifacts, and I have a bunch of stuff from over the years. Do you also have a link to that website that you priced it?

I have a degree in Classical Archaeology, and spent a couple summers working in Greece. Doesn`t do much good around here, except for the training to keep the eyeball to the ground, and watch for anything that doesn`t look `natural`.

Keep poking around!

if you`re looking for gold, pay particular attention to the large rocks in your stream, and even more particularly on the down stream side of them. gold is heavy but might be carried over or around the rock, only to settle into the bottom behind the rock in the eddy.

will send link as soon as I can. Might need to talk to you if you know about what gems look like in the raw and other stuff. We got some really pretty colorful rocks here.

For the Love of Cats

Im not a trained geologist... but my brother is. and I grew up with him collecting too. In the last 3 years, my wife and I have hauled in 160 tonnes of rock for landscaping. (all hand picked, hand loaded and hand placed). I know a lot lot about rocks, and can help guide you, but I also know my limitaions and when I don't know, I know who to ask to find out.

Basically, in a nutshell, if it looks pretty, grab it. if it is colourful , it is probably something cool... but not necessarily of value. A lot of gemstones in the rough really don't look like much, but can be worth a whole hell of a lot more than that shiny piece of iron pyrite.
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 03-06-2012 at 11:00 AM.

For the Love of Cats

additionally, depending on geographic location, certain gemstones are more likely than others, and are found in specific types of generic rock. for instance, this entire part of Canada is known as the Canadian Shield, and is predominately made up of Granite... but, BUT, Granite it also known to contain Quartz. Now Quartz in itself is pretty, but not necessarily of value. EXCEPT, that around here, Gold is typically found in heavy quartz deposits, and it is known as one of the highest grades of gold in the world. Unfortunately, it is also the most expensive method of gold extraction in the world.

Where's the epi?

We actually have a membership for a gold lease that we haven't had a chance to go out and use yet!!!! We can go anywhere in the country with the GPAA, but I want to go when it's a little warmer. Our side of TN is good for gems. When we went out to Reno last summer we went panning for gold. Love it!!!!
    I apologize for nothing...

A laugh a minute
    Quote Originally Posted by IDTANDY View Post
    Here is the rock that I found.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Taz Baby; 03-24-2012 at 02:56 PM.