Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Radio Amateurs are called "HAMS"

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Why Radio Amateurs are called "HAMS"

Have you ever wondered why radio amateurs are called "HAMS " ? Well,it goes like this:

The word " HAM " as applied to 1908 was the station CALL of the first amateur wireless stations operated by some amateurs of the Harvard Radio Club. They were ALBERT S. HYMAN, BOB ALMY and POOGIE MURRAY. At first they called their station " HYMAN-ALMY-MURRAY ". Tapping out such a long name in code soon became tiresome and called for a revision. They changed it to " HY-AL-MU ", using the first two letters of each of their names.

Early in 1909 some confusion resulted between signals from amateur wireless station " HYALMU " and a Mexican ship named " HYALMO ". They then decided to use only the first letter of each name and the station CALL became " HAM ".

In the early pioneer days of unregulated radio amateur operators picked their own frequency and call-letters.Then, as now, some amateurs had better signals than commercial stations. The resulting interference came to the attention of congressional committees in Washington and Congress gave much time to proposed legislation designed to critically limit amateur radio activity.

In 1911, ALBERT HYMAN chose the controversial WIRELESS REGULATION BILL as the topic for his Thesis at Harvard. His instructor insisted that a copy be sent to Senator DAVID I. WALSH, a member of one of the committees hearing the BILL. The Senator was so impressed with the Thesis that he asked HYMAN to appear before the committee. ALBERT HYMAN took the stand and described how the little station was built and almost cried when he told the crowded committee room that if the BILL went through they would have to close down the station because they could not afford the license fees and all the other requirements which the BILL imposed on amateur stations.

Congressional debate began on the WIRELESS REGULATION BILL and little station " HAM " became the symbol for all the little amateur stations in the country crying to be saved from the menace and greed of the big commercial stations who didn't want them around. The BILL finally got to the floor of Congress and every speaker talked about the " ...poor little station HAM ".

That's how it all started. You will find the whole story in the Congressiona Record. Nation-wide publicity associated station " HAM " with amateur radio operators. From that day to this,and probably til the end of time in radio; An amateur is a " HAM ".

I'll most likely shit myself

+1

Premium Member

Looks like I found a home! oink oink! Now we need to see about starting a net.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I've so gotta get my HAM license
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Premium Member

I got my novice and tech about 15 years ago on the same night. Upgraded to General a couple year ago. If I can do it then it can't be that difficult.
    War is ugly, but to be dominated by aliens is even uglier!

Extra here, and now it is easier than ever since there is no loger any code requrements

I'll most likely shit myself

Welcome in dragon. General class here.

general here also. I used hamtestonline for my training. There are plenty of "memorize the question pool" sites out there (hamexam is a good one) but I like that hamtestonline introduced new topics with information, not just answers to questions.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Why Radio Amateurs are called "HAMS"

General here, as well (as of 10/13/12)!

I also used HamTestOnline - I tried the free version and as the previous poster mentioned - liked it so much I paid for full usage. It allowed me to take the practice exams, repetitively, and then to focus on "weak areas", "unseen items" as we'll as likely exam questions - based on the current question pool. I passed Technician without missing single question, missed one on General.

Next test is the 2nd week in November - and I plan to upgrade to Extra class!

Like anything else, having the right tools definitely makes the job easier!

I also used an iPhone App from ARRL that allowed me to do almost the exact same study/memorization - for when I was away from the PC/laptop!