Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Get Home Kit!

Don't act like you aren't comfortable with him.

My Get Home Kit!

[IMG][/IMG]

$20 dollar pack off of Lunchbox that hold all my gear!

[IMG][/IMG]

Extra clothing:
    ACU pants
    Thermal shirt (needs to be changed due to warm weather)
    Socks

[IMG][/IMG]

Food Items:
    Mess Kit
    Steno
    MRE
    Freeze dried meal
    Mrs. Grass Chicken Soup
    Ramen Noodle Pack

[IMG][/IMG]

First Aid Kit:
    Quikclot
    Basic Bandages
    Aspirin
    Pain Killers
    Other Items I'm Sure I Forgot

[IMG][/IMG]

Sanitation/Fire/Shelter:
    Disinfecting Wipes
    Soap
    Matches
    Cotton/dryer lint (in the white box)
    Hand Warmers
    Ponchos
    Emergency Blanket
    Last edited by TOOTHPICK; 07-11-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought with, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

My Get Home Kit!

- - - Updated - - -

[IMG][/IMG]

Security:
    Glock 19 with light
    4 Mags
    3 Knifes
    A Lot Of Extra Ammo

[IMG][/IMG]

Water:
    Drink Mixes
    Coffee
    Filter straw (In First Aid Kit)

[IMG][/IMG]

Light Sources:
    123 Light
    Crank Light/Charger
    Light Sticks (Tucked In The Bag Still)

[IMG][/IMG]

AND IT ALL FITS!!! It never leaves my truck! I'd rather tell someone we don't have enough room for them to hitch a ride, than to take this bag out of my truck!

What do ya guys think? anything to make it better?
    Last edited by TOOTHPICK; 07-11-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought with, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

You got all that in there?

The only thing I can think of right now is adding bug repellent and sunblock that comes in little wet wipes. Is your only water filtration a filter straw or do those blue water bottles also filter?

Ya, It's stuffed pretty good, but it's not as heavy as it looks. The bottles don't filter, although, I have though about replacing those with the bottles that do filter. I've thought about getting a stainless bottle or 2 also and keeping them in my truck to boil water if need be. I actually have several small pump bottles and the wipe type repellents (the old lady bought them on sale when it started getting cold last year). I will add those right now. Cant't believe I overlooked that! I think I have all the basics covered. I also keep a blue tarp behind the back seat of my truck in the event that I have to haul something I don't want to get wet. I also have 2 more mags that you can't see, and I plan on getting 2 more 15 round'ers...

I prefer the stainless steel bottles. Like you said, you can boil water. I keep tinder, band-aids, and fish hooks in my SS bottle right now so they don't get wet or tear up the back pack. I don't know what I would keep them in when I have to use the bottle yet. I should think that through.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

I'd suggest ditching some of that extra ammo in favor of better medical supplies. Consider adding a couple tourniquets and izzy bandages to your first aid kit. Also, things like splints and ace bandages would be good to deal with injuries that could come up on a long hike home.

Sunscreen?

Batteries?

Also, some sort of hydration/electrolyte mix for the water in the event it's a long hot and sweaty walk?

Maybe ditch the extra water bottle and swap in a water filter of some sort?

Small multi-tool? I'm a fan of the Gerber Suspension

Just some random thoughts to maybe give your bag some more flexibility of a wider range of situations.

But ultimately I'd consider spending some time amping up your first aid kit. Any long hike, especially in a stressful situation, is ripe for injuries.

Great start and interesting bag. Thanks for sharing it with us!
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

The first aid kit has a tournaquet. I will add an ace bandage. I keep batteries in one of the pockets I just didn't snap any pics to post. One of the blue bottles has some Gatorade quick mixes in it. I do need sunscreen! I really appreciate the input! The little things I forget I'm glad other people catch! Thanks again! And keep the input coming!

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

T, not to contradict Stig but I'm gonna....keep the ammo. I know where you work/live so I understand. I would also keep both bottles and just add a small container of bleach or water puri tabs. (I have some tabs for you) Knowing you have some, I would would add plenty of 550 cord in case you had to hooch up.

The electrolyte powder is a good call. maybe add a couple mag pouches you can put on your hip if needed so your not digging around for one.

I have the Gerber Suspension and would recommend it also.

Oh and by the way...you tell everyone that your gear is OD and your camera made it look ACU. LOL.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Consider a shoulder strap or waist belt to for carrying of the bag once you're on the move.

Not sure how long it may take to get home but I'd drop the mess kit & sterno on favor of MREs an/or Freeze Dried.

Throw in a bic lighter

Again, I have 550 but didn't see the point in taking pics. The mag pouch I have can be put on a belt, which I always wear. kmab, I have a strap it's tucked next to one of the blue bottles. (The last pic, the big black banana shaped thing).LB, if you find me a drop leg platform, I'd throw together a belt with my holster and the mag pouch I got off you together and keep it in my truck too! Ya, LB, by the time I get all the stuff off you I want I'll look like a rainbow walking around, lol all the different colors of pouches. Although, like we said, either combination of black and tan, or black and OD looks good!