Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Masks or rubber gloves, is there a need?

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

yup....and the heavy duty PVC gloves too...and a couple aprons.

If you have to move a carcase....better have the equipment.

A good thing to have is a few tyvek suits too....with hoods.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

I'll most likely shit myself

Totally agree on the hoods. Hell bonett's would be better than nothing. The heavy aprons and gloves would be useful in several situations.

I try and keep at least 2 pair of gloves in every med kit I have.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

All my first aid and blow out kits contain several pairs of nytrile gloves.

My major kits contain ziplock bags with a pile of gloves.

Don't have too many masks however. Probably should look at that.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Think about the glove issue this way....where I work there are guys we call the "black glove brigade" due to every time an individual needs an attitude adjustment they may/may not throw on the black leather gloves and go to work. The issue with this is that you have no idea what your coming in contact with, you put them on, pound somebody (I mean assist them with an issue) then take them off and put them back in your pocket. See anything wrong with this? (if you don't, I have some gloves to sell) It is just the reason to have some disposable rubber gloves--whatever the need you use them then pitch them.
    Last edited by LUNCHBOX; 07-15-2012 at 06:57 PM.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

I would also imagine post nearly any sort of SHTF event, from small to big, there will be lots of goo, slime, mess, sludge, and muck to make for a fantastic stew of toxic pathogens.

Between this and your "attitude adjustment" example I think I need to rethink my mask/glove policy.

Thanks Brother Lunchbox.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Where's the epi?

Yes Yes Yes!!!! And don't forget that there are a lot of people who are allergic to latex and will blister like hot oil was poured on them (my sister is one of them) if they are touched with latex so please try to remember to always ask the person if they are allergic if you are going to treat them.
    I find myself avoiding people in public who are sneezing or coughing now. We were at Home Depot the other day and a lady in front of us was coughing and I told dh to hold his breath and get in the other isle and move around them fast. Am I becoming paranoid? Who knows but I'm not taking any chances these days. I really do hate to be in public places or crowds and try to stay away as much as possible and always pay attention for people who are coughing or sneezing. Terrible thing to have to think about but it's becoming our reality. India has a strain of TB that antibiotcs will not kill...look at all the indians we have traveling here.
    I apologize for nothing...

We keep a tub of antibacterial wipes in all our vehicles and use them as soon as we come out of a public store. Being aware of folks around you is critical and not just for illness. The way folks are now days, you just never know what's coming next. Paranoid, some folks would say yes. Me, I just say aware. Big difference in my mind.

Where's the epi?

Good, there's hope for me yet! Public restrooms are terrible. I don't want to touch anything in them. I always grab a paper towel to turn the water off so I don't have to touch the faucet after I have washed my hands since everyone touches it before they have washed them and all the germs are on it to begin with...kind of a waste to wash just to touch a dirty faucet later if you think about it.
    I apologize for nothing...

Single serve wipes are great for that. I'm not a germ a phobe by any means, but somethings are just nasty.