Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mylar bags for long term storage

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Mylar bags for long term storage

I am a member of some other prepping related forums. On most of them, mylar bags are touted as the only way to package for long term storage. I've followed this "conventional wisdom", but with the price for mylar bags being what it is, I'm wondering if this is truly necessary. All of these sites have either advertisers or associated stores that sell mylar bags. I guess that my cynicism is coming out because I don't see why my regular vacuum sealer bags wouldn't work in buckets.

Is this just a marketing ploy or is the use of mylar bags a necessity? Any input you all might have would be appreciated. I cringe at paying $1/bag, but on the other hand I don't want to jeopardize my LTS foods.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Totally unfounded and wild speculation but are the mylar bags stronger and more puncture resistant than a plain ziploc bag? Just a guess really.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

From what I've seen mylar does hold up better. I've used the "food saver" type material and it just don't seen as durable to me. That said I have zero info to back up that statement. I do agree with you, mylar is what "everybody" talks about.

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Is this just a marketing ploy or is the use of mylar bags a necessity? Any input you all might have would be appreciated. I cringe at paying $1/bag, but on the other hand I don't want to jeopardize my LTS foods.
    It is not a necessity.
    It is a very good idea though. Mylar is quite a bit heavier than foodsaver bags. It is easier to fill and seal 5 gallons of beans in one 20X30 mylar bag. It takes less time and you can get more in the bucket. Over the years, folks have just about reinvented the wheel over the best way to do LTS. There is a reason most folks do it that way.
    Where are you finding bags at $1?

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

While I cant get a 20"x30" bag for that price from any of the Prep Suppliers, I can get a case of 18"x28.5" from Sorbent Systems for ~ $250. That is 300 bags at about $0.81 each. That one is not listed as food grade and is only 4.3 mils. Other food grade bags in smaller sizes are considerably cheaper. That would be my choice as 50 lbs of beans will last me quite a while. These guys have all kinds of stuff useful for storage and prepping. I'll leave it to your investigations at the site. Mylar® Bags - SorbentSystems.com. The one thing I can caution all about when purchasing from specialty supply stores is that no one is in business for their health, they are in business to make a profit. I always try to cut out the middleman, whether I'm buying for my company or myself.

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

I agree that is cheaper per bag, but you probably don't need 300 bags.
    At USA Emergency Supply you wont need to buy so many. You can get a case (150) 20x30 5mil for $160, STILL have more bags that you will ever need AND have $90 left to buy more beans. If you buy less than case quantity they range from $1.41 to $1.31 per bag. They have other sizes too.
    There are other places out there too. I usually only get 5 or 10 at a time and buy quantity when i find them on sale.
    YMMV

Premium Member

keep in mind with mylar bags you can cut them if needed and seal them with a hot iron provided shtf you can reuse your mylar and heat the iron on the fire and use the mylar for smaller storage

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

What kind of shelf life do beans an such have when sealed in such a way? I'm pulling the trigger on 10 Mylar bags myself but haven't decided what I want to store in them yet. I would prefer to pick something that's known to keep for a longer period of time.

Queen of the Doom Room
    I found this old thread and thought I'd give some input...

Almost all of our Rice, Beans and Grains are packaged in Mylar and Food Grade buckets. We've purchased our Mylar from several sources including Sorbent Systems, USA Emergency, Emergency Essentials and I think Honeyville. All various sizes and thicknesses, depending on what we were packaging. On occassion we find one that's bad. Some had pinholes in them and a few had bad seams and things needed to be repackaged. Now, before we pack anything we test them by standing in a dark room at night and shining a flashlight through them. The flashlight will allow light to come out any pin holes or seams that aren't sealed properly. We have a prepper friend that tested his by using water but then he had to wait days for the bags to completely dry. The flashlight works best for us.

I'll most likely shit myself

Great idea on testing them. Could be a huge money saver there.