There are two ways to go about prepping.

1) Spend $4,593,087.37 out of your checking account to buy everything you'll ever need all in one gigantic shopping spree.

2) What the rest of us do. Buy a little here and there.

Debt: Debt is a huge cancer that eats up money that can otherwise be funneled into prepping. There are a million resources for getting your finances in order. If you have out-of-control debt focus on getting rid of it as a priority over pepping.

Start small: Don't try to buy everything in big hunks. Just buy a little here and there. Especially if you are buying something in bulk or is a big ticket item. Best to ease into it, realize you don't like it/it's not right for you and then drive on. Much better than investing a couple hundred bucks into a pail of dehydrated squash only to find out you can't stand the taste of it.

Re-use items around the house: Got an old backpack from high-school that's been collecting dust? Instant BOB that costs you $0.00. Much better than the $300 super-duper mega bag that you aren't even sure is right for you.

Resist impulse buys: This is a lesson I have to learn over and over and over and over again. I'm just impulsive and I rush into cool looking gear without really thinking it though or doing my homework. The result? A ton of wasted money and a pile of gear that either ends up in the trash, given away or just rotting in the garage.

Coupons: Hokey? Yes. A lot of work to really save money? Yes. Worth it.....definitely. Mrs. Stig saves us at least $100 per month on various items. That's another $100 that goes into our prep account.

Anyway....just some random thoughts. Other thoughts/ideas about day-to-day money issues and prepping?