Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you have a generator

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

If you have a generator

When needed....how do you utilize it?

I use a main disconnect and a exterior plug...ran with my Miller 225 Bobcat 8kw welder/generator.

What method are you using to hook power to your house?

transfer switch?

Extension cords?

Magic?

Candles and oil lamps?
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

I'll most likely shit myself

I have a genny, but it will only be used to keep our freezers and fridge cold until we can get the frozen food canned. No real plans for it beyond that. I just got it (used $200) to do some work around the property where power isn't available

Bacon Spam

I back feed, cause I can, its easy and it works well in my situation, and yes I kill the main

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I have a genny, but it will only be used to keep our freezers and fridge cold until we can get the frozen food canned. No real plans for it beyond that. I just got it (used $200) to do some work around the property where power isn't available
    Same plan here. We actually have a ton of Oil Lamps and gallons upon gallons of lamp oil!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Walking on Sunshine

I have standby we installed in 2010. Have used it 3-4 times over the last 2 years. Am working on solar panels /shingles for roof for sump pump, Furnace fan (after we install add on fire burner). Trying to convince DH to put in electric water heater and hook that to solar for when natural gas goes out.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

I have a genny but have never had to use it thus far.

The plan is to kill the mains and backfeed the house. We'll only run the fridge/freezer and one room. Have a couple of box fans we bought to move air and the Mrs is on the lookout for an old windown unit AC so we can at least cool one room.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Do you have a robot?
    I have a generator but only have used it when we were towing a fifth wheel. However now that has all changed since I got rid of the trailer. I am now starting to build a cabin, it is no longer a BOL, the correct term that does not raise eyebrows is vacation cabin. Sooooooo the cabin will be off the grid since I do not have a million dollars to pay to the local utility company to run the lines. It will be wired just like a house only the feed will be the generator and solar. All it takes is money.........

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Same here as most of the above. We have a genny for temporary usage only... for the frig, freezer and some fans and will be using an extension cord and splitters. We are only stocking a two weeks worth of gas so after it runs we are set up to go back to the basics just like they did back in the good old days.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

I should say... Thanks to now days technology... Back to the basics but a little easer then the old ways.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

For the Love of Cats

Yep, back feed the house, although I need to grab a 220V line. The genny has it, I may as well use it. I have a couple few weeks of gas, more once I get my new tank in the air, but I would be running the fridge freezers only as long as it looked like power was gone for good. then it'll be pushing the dehydrators and smokers, Then it will be incidental, as we really wont need power for much after that.

I am tossing around the idea of picking up a small bar fridge, that I could use intermittingly to keep things like my milk cold.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.