Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freezing verses Canning and/or Dehydrating foods for SHTF.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Dressed, cleaned, and processed into a jar?... 3hrs tops. (If we had enough jars). She would even have me labeled and dated in that time frame. Kinda reminds me of Soylent Green.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

A laugh a minute
    Big Lots has jars under $10.00 a case and then there is Dollar General. Even Wal-marts are under $10.00 right now. I thought that was a good price. I have also found them at Tractor Supply.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Walking on Sunshine

I have a standby jenny so I will have electricity till the natural gas runs out. By that time I believe we will have either eaten whats in there or I've caned/dehydrated what is left. Also look on line I have a $3.00 off a case of Ball caning jars,from manufacturer, came in the Sunday paper about 7/6th I think and the local store has the jars on sale right now. So I will be getting more jars, lids , rings.

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

All this canning talk makes me want the canner that i bought to get here asap. We're pretty much on the same page as everyone else, we have a freezer full of meat and whatever else we can fit in it. If we lost power long term, ive got a a genny that will keep it cold till we can either can (when we get the canner) and/or dehydrate it. Has anyone thought about salting your meat? Ive never researched it and dont have the means (salt/barrel) to do it, but it might be something to look in to.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

Where's the epi?

I also can in pints so it is enough for just the 2 of us. The chicken I have done one breast per jar and 2 or 3 thighs per jar since I eat white and he eats dark. That way I can grab one of each and nothing is left over. We have a genny that would run our whole house so as long as there is gas we will have power so everything will stay in the freezer. I have started buying 1/2 gallon jars for milk however. Even though I don't have a cow yet, it's in the plan for the future so I am stocking up on them now while I can get them...just a side note.
    I apologize for nothing...

For the Love of Cats

smoke, dehydrate, and can.

My gen will run both freezers, fidges, and the smokers dehydrator until everything is done.

In the winter, I have lots of time, and can process it over a fire
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.