Page 47 of 389 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    OK I can put away my tool box, false alarm, I thought we were talkin "gears".........now I understand. No I actually carry a BOB in each vehicle that is packed primarily for survival all around. You never know when what or where it's going to happen on the road. First aid, fire, clothing, self defense, sustainability. I have a bag in the house that is packed for CSAR combat search and rescue, and 2 that are "spelunkin" cave ready. I have a ready belt for each rifle, droplegs for each pistol. So no matter which one I pull from the locker there is a ready belt w/mags hanging to go with it. Makes it easier that way. It's all grab and go. I haven't got to these great little level IIIA body amour sets yet. One black and small for the wife. The other is coyote brown, both the molle type waiting for more crap to hang on it. But it's been my experience to leave the armour to itself. Keep the Tactical seperate. When one has to enter the water, some things become loadbearing. This is where that para cord comes in handy. Tie it off and pull it in later, depends on your situation. You might want to wear one and drag the other, as situation dictates. The level IIIA that I wore, was "point blank" you wear under your blouse, full trauma plates front and back and I thru my float coat and tac gear over top. That's how I wore it in them rubber boats. Way less cumbersome that way. Actually wasn't hard to swim with it on that way either. Pack your gear right and you won't sink....................I try to inventory my bags every 4-6 months.

Be safe.....................the night is your friend.

remind me to get you to pack my bags.........
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Garden? I'll show you a garden....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Sounds great Raven... but are there NEW things that you can add to the mix? identify some local fauna, find uses for it. identify some local flora, for the same purpose...

Instead of trying to inflict your previous local knowledge on a new locatiion.... find out what is currenly working there and utilize it better, and in other ways?

???
    The climates are almost entirely different as is the flora/fauna. I have like I said been spending hour upon hour in the NY flora website. Until I get there, thre isn't really much I can do outside read the interwebz..trust me I have read every homestead/farming/gardening in zone 5 website on the interwbez in the past 5 weeks. I have a few books on zone 5 now as well...but there really is only so much you can learn from a book its all conjecture...I know this all too well we have moved a plethora of times. Also much of what works here...won't work there because the growing season is 1/2 as long and it is much colder...much, much, much colder also totally different type of soil. At any rate, as far as animals go, I'll be raising the same breeds of livestock, rabbits and poultry I have raised for years...outside meeting their requirements to stay warm in teh ridiculously insane cold and finding what trace minerals are lacking in the area...there wasn't much to learn. I am in this horrid holding pattern that is driving me insane.

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    Well it seems you and I were a few years apart during part II of Iraq. All that navy trainin still stuck in my head, Army training judging by your "CIB" has you workin out of a different tool box. Hence your line gear. But........staying on topic, I have shaped and sanded the black walnut tabletop and strut for the leather sewing machine. I can't wait to get this one up and runnin. Izzy you were going to make a shoulder holster rig for Sniper-T? PM me please.

Be safe...........the night is your friend

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    Well it seems you and I were a few years apart during part II of Iraq. All that navy trainin still stuck in my head, Army training judging by your "CIB" has you workin out of a different tool box. Hence your line gear.
    Yeah, I was there 07-08.

sooooo.......what you're saying is..........if I come over with an empty bag and puppy dog eyes, you wont fill it up with goodies?????????
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Bacon saver

Yeah, I was there 07-08.

sooooo.......what you're saying is..........if I come over with an empty bag and puppy dog eyes, you wont fill it up with goodies?????????
    Hey I don't know man, we got two dogs, you come over lookin like that and I cannot be held responsible for what happens after that.................

Be safe...........the night is your friend.

Bacon saver

I did find some goodies today when I went cruizin the antique shops with the wife and daughter today. I picked up two Navy electronics storage boxes for (none of your business) stuff, a leather splitter, leather punch both made in USA, oh and a brass plumb bob. Also an original 1969 Tandy publication Leatherwork manual in brand new condition. You can find alot of good hand tools around here (middle Tenn) if you know what you're lookin for. And one container of Brown Shinola shoe polish. For those of you who don't know the difference I'll have to post the picture.
    ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Be safe....................the night is your friend.

I added a tiny bit to the emergency savings, paid off the smallest credit card bill, and cleaned out more of the basement and a few closets. I am finding strange things everywhere. Why on Earth did I have baby detangler in the office cabinet? I never got tangled in a baby.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Picked up some more can goods, salt, sugar, rice and beans (dry)

Mounted the new 870 to the extended tube I bought, added a side saddle soon after. (Its almost worth shooting now)
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Where's the epi?

Found 2 mason jars full of old buttons at an antique shop and washed them, cut off all the old thread and fabric and separated them into colors and sizes. Took hours but now I have a great start for some projects that I want to do. Buttons have gotten so expensive! Was going to buy muslin to create patterns as well but the price is through the roof so I jokingly told the lady at the store I should buy old sheets instead. She told me to go to GoodWill on Mondays because that's when they have all their sales! She told me not to buy the muslin and the old sheet idea was great! Gotta admit that she was an older woman and probably wouldn't have gotten the same response from someone young.
    I apologize for nothing...

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I bought some Maxpedition 5" Tac-Ties for some of the maxpedition pouches I have been wanting to mount on BOB, they should have to put a warning label on Tac-Ties that they are an ass-whoop to thread, and get in place so they'll actually hold, they hold well, but geez. My one and only complaint with Maxpedition is: Nothing they make comes with straps for mounting on MOLLE, I don't want them sewn on, I just want them to come with my pouches. It irks me that they are one of the more expensive readily available, high quality, gear manufacturers when it comes to packs and really well designed pouches, but no attachment straps? argh!

Pouches for mags and other goodies on the way shortly.