Thread: Wiley X SG1 Tactical Goggles Review

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Wiley X SG1 Tactical Goggles Review

SG1 Ballistic Goggles

I bought these used close to two years ago and have used them extensively. Thought it would be good to pass along a review.

Usage has been during normal range trips and several training classes. Honestly, I also used them as eye pro when removing a lot of drywall from the basement in our old home. They've been on my noggin quite a bit.

Pros:
    Very light
    Flexible - they've been slammed around in packs and dropped and haven't broken
    Interchangeable goggle straps or traditional glasses "arms"
    Easily interchangeable lens inserts - clear and smoke gray
    Can use prescription lens if needed
    Lenses are durable. They haven't scratched yet.

Cons:
    FOG: These things fog up like mad. I have an older pair and they fog so much I end up wearing a pair of simple UVEX lab glasses most of the time. The website references a new ventilation system so maybe they've improved?

Dark lenses: They work well to shade bright sunlight. However, go inside and you are as blind as a bat. I tried to do a covered shoothouse with the shaded lenses and even with a weapon light I couldn't identify details down a long hallway. Not sure if that's the fault of the glasses necessarily, but it's worth mentioning.

Ultimately, if you are considering upgrading your eye pro I'd have to suggest you explore other options unless the new ventilation system vastly improves the fog situation.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Can use prescription lens if needed
    I was wondering about that. This is good to know.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

I am thinking aboutg getting a pair of these. I wear a pair of XL1 all the time, I have the dark, clear, and light adjusting lenses, but use the dark mostly.

Even the XL1s fog more than id like, and that is without the foam, so I can imagine the sg1 would be worse, good to compare notes.

I wear mine so much that somone didn't recognize me without them (granted that tbis person only sees me outdoors. I'm a big fan of wiley products, gonna defintely get another xl1 and likely some sg1 as well.