Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Making a simple spear

Crotch Rocket

Hey, thanks for the idea.

Welcome to the forum, and yes, I would be interested in discussion on more rustic spears.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

I to would welcome further discussion on new or old style spears. I've played around with one and never gotten it finished. Something I need to do.

Every since I was a kid we made a lot of spears. We pulled up dry horse weeds, knocked the dirt off of the pointed root and threw them for hours. We also cut down saplings, sharpened the tips and threw those. At 54 I''m still deadly at 20 plus yards.

I made a fancy spear a few years ago as a Christmas present.

I used a sapling about 1" in diameter and removed the bark. I left a ring of bark every 6" about 1/2 wide as decoration. I cut a notch about 4" deep in one end for the blade. My finished stick was about 4' long.

For the blade I used the blade from an Old Hickory butcher knife. Since the blade is only sharp on one side, I shaped the dull side on a grinder to match the other side, being careful not to overheat the blade and lose temper. I also shaped the tang to the width of my sapling.

Using the existing holes in the blade, clipped off some nails that matched the holes, fitted them through holes I drilled in the sapling and bent them over. Yes it looked ugly but it was secure.

To finish the spear, I used rabbit fur to wrap the head (hiding the ugly nails) hung a string of leather fringe half way down the length, and finished it off with owl feathers. I got the feathers from a roadkill owl. I often stop for fresh road kill birds. I have red tail hawk, owl and road runner feathers.

The finished product looked very nice, but my brothers and I couldn't wait to pull off the fringe and feathers to try it out. It threw easily, flew straight and stuck nicely. That spear was made in 1996 and has spent a lot of time outside in the weather since then. I found it neglectfully left in the yard the other day (shame on me) picked it up, tossed at an oak tree and stuck 2 inches.

It was a lot of fun to make and even more to throw.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

BJW, Your spear sound like a modified Roman pilum. Handles make a good lance shaft, but I prefer a slimmer shaft for a spear. Ash, Hickory or willow saplings can make good shafts, but willows are soft. If you can find hazel they are good shafts. I'm exploring TX for suitable shaft woods now.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

I used something people here in East Texas call privet. It's kind of a wild shrub. It worked pretty good.

^^^ Well, what is it? I am in hill country on the northern edge.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

I may post a pic tomorrow

"Preparedness may come down to 'What's in your pocket?'"

TY BJW! Pictures are always a help.

Quo Vadis?

Sorry no pics of spears, I was referring to the to the shrub

A pic of the shrub would be very helpful. TIA

Quo Vadis?