Thread: June Bug Out Exercise - Reviews and Observations

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crotch Rocket

June Bug Out Exercise - Reviews and Observations

This trip didn't go quite how I'd like it too, between the two delays and then using my family property again, which doesn't have any fishing access. In hindsight though, that turned out to be a good thing.

First, because I was more winded than I expected to be. For anyone that hasn't strapped on their packs and gone cross country: I'd strongly urge you to do so! My hike was short distance (1/4 mile) over "flat" terrain and through an easily navigable woodlot that I'm familiar with, yet I could still feel every cigarette I've smoked and every extra pound I gained from over this winter. It made for slow going when coupled with the temp and humidity being high yesterday. I was happy to drop my gear:

On this trip it was my SDS ruck, AR with a 5 round mag, and my ATS war belt. There wasn't much on the war belt due to me continually screwing around with different configurations, but I did learn I want to move my knife. It sat just a bit further back than I like it. I also learned that if I have two waist belts on for different components I need to make sure I undo the right one when for dropping my pack lol

The second bonus to being on family ground meant I was able to get a water resupply from my family (I went through most of my 1.25 gallons very quickly), and my fiancee actually came out to see my setup. This was cool because I learned I was actually fairly effective at concealing my camp. It looked like this -from 10 feet away- when I started:

and I turned it into this:

I'm zoomed in a bit more on the first pic, but I put the tent in an overgrown area and added some foliage to the side facing the most likely approach route just to see how I'd do.

I feel better about knowing I'll be relatively well hidden against the average person if I ever need to do a complete job.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 06-05-2011 at 10:14 PM.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!