Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post SHTF Attire for the "Not So Normal Individual".

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

Post SHTF Attire for the "Not So Normal Individual".

Here's a situation that i think about frequently, being a bigger guy at 6'6 and well over 300lbs there is not alot of clothing/shoe's around that fit me now and what short supply there is will undoubtably be harder to come by post SHTF. Eventually if I live long enough the clothes that i'll have with me will need to be replaced and there starts my problem.

If you are in a similar situation, be it being a large individual or any other special circumstance what do you plan on doing when its time to change your attire?
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Unless SHTF is CW2 or something of this kind and magnitude, I would venture to say that there is not much to worry about at this time.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I would find a pair of shoes/boots that you have tested (quality, comfort, waterproofing, etc) buy them and bury them as we have discussed in the past.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

I'll most likely shit myself

Kodiak, similar situation here. I'm 6-4 275. And the the wife who is 4-11. We cover both ends of the spectrum. We have been buying up some clothes, carhatt's myself when we find stuff on sale. I need to get some of thise bags you can suck down with a vacuum to reduce the bulk.

I don't know how likely it is that we would need them in a situation, but with inflation being what it is and has been for 10-20 years.I see it as an investment as well. Saving money in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I don't know how likely it is that we would need them in a situation, but with inflation being what it is and has been for 10-20 years.I see it as an investment as well. Saving money in the future.
    Buying clothes as an investment in case of lack of future earning is fine. The trouble is that you need proper storage, making sure that it will not rot in the future. Also, what can predict that they will fit you in the future? What if in the future they come up with better material for survival for example. I have a problem seeing storing for more than 5 years on anything.

Maybe because I am on coming on my end cycle faster than I think.

Premium Member

Consider for those of us who are on the heavier side, that in the times we are considering, that either you will be walking more, working manually more, eating less and so on... so don't get to caught up in thinking you'll always remain at the same weight... likely you'll lose a LOT.

Premium Member

Yeah. I'm 6'3" and 400 pounds ... 4XLT shirt, 52 inches around and size 13 wide shoes! I can't even buy single use clothes at Wall-Mart.
    My weight yo-yos from 400+ to 320 pounds every few years. I'm on the downward side again. But depending on the SHTF duration I would probably drop to my ideal weight of 225 pound. At that weight I'm still a 2XLT shirt, 38" waist and size 13 shoe.

So my plan ....
    I'm goin' NEKED !!!
    Look out congressman Weinner!
    War is ugly, but to be dominated by aliens is even uglier!

I'll most likely shit myself

I guess I should have been more clear in my post. I rarely buy clothes. But I found a good deal on some carhatts, which last really well compared to levi's or some others for me. So I got 3 pair and stuck them back a couple years ago. Just looked at them a month ago when sorting some stuff in the closet. Just like when I got them.
    After a major event of long duration, say a cme knocking down the grid, folks will loose weight, probably a lot. I would guess 75-100 lbs in my case over a 6-12 month period. Clothing won't fit hardly anyone right then.

Premium Member

Yep .... My wife can't even sew a button on a shirt ... I'm going naked~!
    War is ugly, but to be dominated by aliens is even uglier!

Quote Originally Posted by alpmco View Post
    Yep .... My wife can't even sew a button on a shirt ... I'm going naked~!
    The important question is: Do you?