Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canning

Walking on Sunshine

Taz's would taste better of course but try a can of potatoes (Delmonte, Dole etc) from grocery. Won't be home canned but it might give you some idea as to flavor and texture. I use the diced when I make recipes that need diced taters like white chili, or minestrone soup and don't have fresh on hand, they're okay but bland. Sliced are a bit rubbery but the small whole ones do taste like boiled potatoes and mash down pretty good on the plate.

A laugh a minute
    Thought I would share this.
    The art of canning started back in the early nineteenth century when Napoleon, who was looking for a way to feed his troops, offered a cash award to any inventor who could figure out a cheap method of preserving large amounts of food for the military.

Canning Jar and LidSince that time canning practices have evolved and become a lot safer, but the basic principles of canning remain the same. Today we are going to look at one of the oldest methods; the Boiling Water Bath Method.

http://offgridsurvival.com/canningfo...lingwaterbath/
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

For the Love of Cats

Up until last month, that's the only thing I have ever done (boiling water). And my mom taught me. And her mom taught her, and her mom... well they were French, so I guess it goes back to Napolean. at some point.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.