Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reinforced interior walls

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

Ok just throwing out a thought i had, couldnt someone just cut through the 1st floor / basement ceiling and drop into a secure room? or have you beefed up the ceiling to prevent them from dropping in on you?
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

^ Hmm, like "the Italian Job".....interesting idea
    "Treason to tyranny is fidelity to liberty."

Anything you can build, including Fort Knox, can be broken into, eventually, given enough resources.

But I suppose you could drill 1/2" holes in the floor joists and slip some rebar in to make cutting more difficult.

I'll most likely shit myself

If we are ever able to build our dream home, undergrond, it will be mostly concrete. It wont stop everything. Bit it'll dam sure slow plenty down. Of course that is probably a long ways down the road, if ever.

Do you have a robot?
    My room will have an inner perimeter foundation which will be used for storage underneath. It will be my plan B stash room. At for the upper portion it will be reinforced with the upper story. However Fidel you are right with enough time anyone can get in. This is why I will have the small basement underneath for plan B. Plan C is at another location......

in the wall voids I'd stack and adhesive together masonary block instead of sandbags or some kind of loose fill .... if you lag the block stack to the studs all the better ....

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    in the wall voids I'd stack and adhesive together masonary block instead of sandbags or some kind of loose fill .... if you lag the block stack to the studs all the better ....
    Something like bags filled with gravel or rock are better - masonry block will shatter, the gravel might get a hole but the stuff above it will fill it up.

Does not fish with big brother
    That is why I used sand, to help disapate a blow and it will collaps on itself and fill the void. I did some backyard shooting on a test mock up. I got the best results with sand filled in sand bags. stoped everything I put at it up to a .223 round. Ahh and we are talking 2 x 6 wall.

I figured sooner er later some one could get thrugh it. It is for me just a deturent to give me time.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Does anyone know how thick of a sheet of steel it would take to stop a 9mm to something shot from an AK or an AR?

Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post
    Does anyone know how thick of a sheet of steel it would take to stop a 9mm to something shot from an AK or an AR?

I have no specifics however i do know that comparing pistol vs AR is apples & oranges. Ammo type also has a lot to do with penetrating ability. On my last range trip we (ok, I) got a bit carried away and at 50 yrds tossed a couple 5.56 green tip penatrators at a 1/2" thick steel spinner target and punched two holes in it that you could stick a pencil through. I was told the target was rated for .45 on down.