Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Siphon in a BOB?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Gas Siphon in a BOB?

I carry a small gas siphon in my BOB on the off chance I bug out with my vehicle and have to scavenge for fuel if gas stations are no longer functional. I am now rethinking this choice. I was talking with a fellow local prepper about BOB items. When I told him I had a small gas siphon in my pack, he said I was just wasting space in my pack for it. He explained to me that most vehicles on the road have anti siphons screens and unless I knowledge and am carrying the tools to get past it, the pump is useless. Is this true? I don't know anything about cars except how to turn them on. Can anybody shed some light on this?
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

I have a SuperSiphon in the vehicle equipment....if I'm not with the vehicle, I won't need it in the BoB.

And if I'm scavenging fuel from abandoned vehicles, I'll punch holes in the tanks instead of trying to siphon it.

gas engine trucks .... larger the better .... get a "jiggler" siphon for $7 .... saves a ton of problems and doesn't take any extra storage room

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I am with Fidel, stick something through the plastic gas can and take the gas that way.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Yes, its short. No, its not his attention span.
    To answer youre question, yes it is typically useless, especially with older vehicles being fewer and fewr these days.

You are better off punching a hole in the tank like has been said.

Side note, I laughed for weeks at all the people buying up locking gas caps when gas first hit $3

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ditchmedic View Post
    To answer youre question, yes it is typically useless, especially with older vehicles being fewer and fewr these days.

You are better off punching a hole in the tank like has been said.
    Good to know. The siphon is the only item that is untested in my BOB. Time for a reconfig.
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Yes, 2die4, like many have said, newer vehicles have anti-siphon devices in them.
    Pierce the tank and go. I also would only have such equipment in a vehicle, as I have no use for gas on foot.

Locking caps provide other services as well.

While they do not add security to an already secure input line, they do prevent getting in your vehicle only to find that your fuel is contaminated by sugar, water, etc. More now than post-shtf, as someone who cannot siphon your fuel may put something in the tank out of anger.
    Or just pissed off neighbors or co-workers. They don't even have to be pissed at you, just not smart enough to realize that they have the wrong vehicle.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

For the Love of Cats

I carry a length of hose as well, and while there are screens... they don't amount to much. cut the end of your hose on a 45 degree angle and insert until you feel resistance, lift it up a couple inches and jam it down hard. the screen either tears or punches completely out.

Yes folks it is just that easy.

Make sure you have something to siphon into as well... and a stick of gum for the after taste.

and yeah, those jigglers work awesome.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    My opinion is this if there is a screen over the pipe punch it out with a screwdriver and use your suckless variety of siphon. I hate destroying things (like puncturing tanks) you may need a component from it later. It is also more of a stealthy way to gain fluid you need.

If you have not used it for gas and it is new you could use it for water. ex You find a water pipe and it is solidly mounted. Or you need to remain hidden for a long period of time you could also use this with the least amount of movement.

Next reason to have it would be for medical reasons.

1> your screwdriver slid of the gas tank as you attempted to puncture it for gas... you now have a tourniquet to stop excessive blood loss from the puncture wound.
    2> Sling
    3> Gtube (Feeding a person who is unable to swallow) ((Beesting)) slow feeding is better than no feeding
    4> Trach for throat ventilation. (Cut a hole in the trachea and insert tube for better breathing)
    5> Tie wrap

I carry a 5' setup where you insert the tube in the fluid and plug one end with your finger squeeze an air bulb and that creates suction in the hose to draw the fluid to a lower point. (Gas from can on the vehicle roof down into the tank or from the tank to can on the ground)

Gunfixr is correct though they are better if kept in a vehicle.
    Last edited by Vodin; 12-21-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Edit

Yes, its short. No, its not his attention span.
    I hope I don't derail this but if youre resorting to using your siphon hose as a G-tube or a trach, that person is beyond helping.