Thread: Tarp repair question

Tarp repair question

Hey guys,

Its snowing here again and I was pushing the heavy wet snow off of my truck canopy from Costco. I was standing on my truck side steps and pushing up just like I did last year and this year, well, I got to the last one and my fricking hand went right through the POS. What is so ironic, my wife was poking at it with a stick and I gave her shit. Then moments later &^##@@@$$!!!!

Ive been googling around and saw 1000 different ways to repair it but I can find none of the tapes or glues online at my local home depot/walmart/auto parts store etc.

I was wondering how you guys might repair something like this that will be carrying weight again after the fix.

I was thinking to get some of the same color material and just use some type of non melting glue to repair it on both sides. My 2nd concern is, do you think its possible to do this while it is still up on the canopy frame. The whole yard is full of snow and it would be awesome to be able to repair it while it is where it is. Moisture could be an issue as well.

Your thoughts are most appreciated.

For the Love of Cats

dude... I posted this in another thread...

PRINCESS AUTO!!

In Canada, they will be, or should be your best friend! They have all the shit!

you may be able to do a temp patch for now, but if you're below freezing there too, no glue/epoxy will set correctly below freezing. but it'll prob get you thru til spring, when you can do a proper repair.

google it, find your closest store (US people, they ship too) and block off four hours and go wander around. You'll find all kinds of shit that you idn't know existed, stuff that they make themselves based on customer suggestions, and a fricken whackload of everything else including aisles and aisles of milsurp. They have a decent website, and can bring in any non-stocked items, and also ship anywhere..

One word of caution though, their own brand of stuff (POWERFIST) is considered by any serious handyman to be a one use item. Buy it, it'll last long enough to do what you need and then it is finished!
    The plus side, is their return policy. If it has their name on it, and it fucks up, bring it back for a new one. FOREVER!!

Use it... bust it... get a new one... and put it away until you need it again.

They also carry name brand (snap-on, etc) of most things at decent prices so if you figure you need a widget puller on a regular basis, buy it. If you need it once, buy a PF and then replace it when you're done incase you ever need it again!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Or if your in a rush. DUCT TAPE! Do both sides. If it is broke Duc IT!

Hey thanks guys. I just want to get it to a point where it will not continue to rip.
    Being wet is a pain and taking it down is as well. Mebbe a hair dryer will help me get some foil or tuck tape on it for.now.

Princess auto!! Yes I keep forgetting about them and one is only about 30 mins away. Ty sniper.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Duct Tape FTW!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Crotch Rocket

I say duct tape FTW indeed. I just sealed a window on the truck I'm borrowing with some!

Otherwise, my dad swears by a product called solar seal that might be of some use. I don't know how well or long it'll take to set in cold temps, but I can say its waterproof and effective. When we were redoing the garage roof the weather turned to shit on us, so we tried sealing the gaps in our roof decking against the rain with sealants he had on hand. The solar seal is the only one that didn't wash out.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Bacon Spam

whatever you do, steer clear of the replacement tarps from Canopy mart, they are less that what you originally get, min has only lasted 1 year

not to hijack, but anyone know how much longer canvas tarps last versus anything else

Thanks for the replies guys. I found some clear tarp tape at princess auto online and they had it in stock at the local store.

Hope y'all had a nice weekend.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.