After a few weeks of collecting the last bit of ingredients, this past Saturday after a few Knob Creeks and Cokes, I decided to try my hand at making soap at 3am. (Yes I was reciting Fightclub quotes the whole time.) I was actually surprised how easy it is to make. Reading the books and researching online, I was under the impression that it would be harder. If you get a chance I do recommend you try making soap. Remember if you do SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY! LYE IS DANGEROUS!

For my first time I decided to go with a basic batch and if it turns out right I'll start getting fancier or manilier with the scents. CLP scented soap anyone? After 72 hours of letting it "dry" I yielded about 2 lbs worth of Lemongrass scented soap. My recipe didn't indicate how much essential oil to use so I used my best judgement. Just by smelling the soap it does not smell overpowering. The true test will be when I finally get to use it in a few weeks.

The basic recipe I used is as follows and comes out of the book "The Everything Soapmaking Book"

4.8 oz Lye
12 oz H2O
21 oz Olive Oil
10.5 oz Coconut oil
2 TBL essential oil

This is only part of it

Looks like melted cheese

Time to Cure

Product after 72 Hours. I decided to cut because I figured this would help speed up the curing. Total time I will wait is 4 weeks.