Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flashlights

Dont worry about shitting yourself

Flashlights

I went back about a year and a half, looking for flashlight threads, but didn't see any. I'm sure there has been one or more at some point.
    Anyway, I'm sure many here have some fairly "high performance" flashlights. There are many types, and many levels of cost. In the last few years, the LED has "come of age" so to speak, and flashlights have been changing rapidly. Now, the switches have really "come of age" as well, and where the high performance flashlight was only a blinding light that lasted a couple hours is now a multi-setting light than can land planes of a couple hours, or help you see your way about for a week.

To get more to the point, in an effort several years ago to get more than a few good performing flashlights without spending a huge amount of cash (I'm a gear whore), I had purchased several lights made by Coleman company. These offered pretty good light (from 80 to 150 lumens) with good run times and were fairly inexpensive, about $15 to $25 each, depending on the specific model. Instead of using CR123s, which may not be quite as common post-shtf, they use AAA batteries. Three of them are mounted into a cartridge, which then goes into the light body.

Theoretically, this was just as durable as any other light, using any other battery system.

Now, 2-3 yrs later, I see this is not the case. For one, the batteries just don't seem to store. I have multiple packages of AAA, AA, and CR123, as well as CR2032s in storage, all stored together, with the AAA and AA both being the same brand. The AAAs are rotting away, with corrosion showing up in several packages. None of the other sizes are doing this. Maybe it is related to the small size, I don't know. I did find lithium AAAs, but of course, these are more expensive. All of the corroded packages have from 1 to 3 yrs left of storage time, as printed on the package.
    Secondly, the lights aren't holding up. The cartridges that hold the 3 batteries a all cracking, as they are 3 pieces held together with small screws. Mostly, they seem to break around the screw holes in the end pieces. Also, some of the batteries have corroded, eroding the contacts. These are the batteries from the above mentioned packages, still plenty inside their "expiration" date. The lights have not seen particularly hard use. One has been carried a lot, and seen good use, but the others are simply laying in drawers, waiting to be needed.

Therefore, now I will be getting away from these AAA lights that use cartridges. Getting lithium batteries will end the corrosion issue, or should, but the lights themselves just don't hold up.

Just thought the colony might want the heads up.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Those are the reasons I like my streamlight flashlights. They are tough, and my favorite on uses rechargeable batteries. It has a 9 hour run time on low. Also don't get to focused on those lumen numbers. There is no standard and they can put pretty much what they want on them. The beam has more to do with the lens and the reflector more so than the lumens.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    Those are the reasons I like my streamlight flashlights. They are tough, and my favorite on uses rechargeable batteries. It has a 9 hour run time on low. Also don't get to focused on those lumen numbers. There is no standard and they can put pretty much what they want on them. The beam has more to do with the lens and the reflector more so than the lumens.
    My buddy who invented the light I carry says there are 2 kinds of lumens... American and Chinese.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

http://www.maglite.com/flashlight_performance.asp

Q: Do all sellers and advertisers of flashlights follow the FL1 standard?
    A: No. Compliance with the FL1 Standard is voluntary. There’s no legal requirement that flashlight packaging, labeling and advertising follow the Standard. So not everybody who makes, packages, advertises and sells flashlights chooses to follow the FL1 Standard.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Thanks for the heads up on the AA and AAA batts...

BTW, Ive got one of these:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...Lumen&i=733611

The 550 lm model, I dont know if the lm count is accurate, but its the brightest damn flashlight Ive ever owned! I got it on sale for like $60.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I've had bad luck with AAAs too. They're the only ones that seem to rot prematurely. I have some Costco lights I bought 3 for $20 a few years back they're a solid 150-175 lumens, and have 3 modes. They take the AAA cartridge, which seems durable enough, but... I've had to clean corrosion out of 2 of them so far. They hang on nails behind doors in the house, and I was a bit surprised the last time I grabbed one and it didn't work because I'll throw out low batteries in the interest of higher output when I need light, and I don't let things go dead. If its low, I let my 4 year old run it dead and replace ASAP.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I know that lumens and candlepower aren't the perfect way to describe flashlights. I use it as a relative term for brightness.

Mainly, I wanted to share my experience with what happened with storing AAA batteries, and the AAA cartridges that the lights used.

I'm going to try to find some more "general use" lights that use AAs, and maybe keep the CR123 batteries to the "high performance" lights, as I think having to use different sizes of batteries will give me more types to scavenge post-shtf.

But, I'm kind of looking into the possibility of using rechargables, and having a portable solar charger for them. That way, you could carry a few sets of batteries, charging as necessary, instead of loads of batteries that you eventually run out of. Extras stored at base are waiting for when you finally run the ones you are using out of cycles.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

This is an interesting problem - one that I haven't run into, myself. With the incredible decrease in price for LED flashlights, I have been buying them - 100 lumen lights in a three pack at Lowes are a pretty good deal at $10, and the quality, while not up to Streamlight or Surefire or Pelican or even Maglight, are certainly better than most cheap flashlights a couple of years ago.

So, I've been buying a lot of cheap ones, to go with the expensive ones and just set them aside. Some of them may not work when needed, some will, I hope, so overall I think it's good.

Of course, I don't store batteries in flashlights that aren't going to be used for awhile - I keep the batteries in the freezer.

I'll most likely shit myself

I bought some 10 for $10 lights at tractor supply a couple years ago to hang out in the shop, chicken coop, basement, etc. So far they are still working. Even on their original batteries. I am sure that is most likely a fluke but I cant bitch.
    i got a bunch of triple a batteries several years ago. Some duracell some Sams brand. So far no issues with leakage. I keep them in our spare bedroom so it has a constant temp. Hopefully my luck continues.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I am a Surefire junkie....with that said l wont tell anyone that my flashlight is better or worse. I will say this....go somewhere thats dark (out of town dark) and turn on any flashlight. I dont care if its a AA, AAA, C, D, 123 or the little nickel looking ones...it will light up the night just fine.

I have extra batteries (thats what we do) but l dont keep to many for the reasons listed above. I would recommend keeping a couple lights that run on AA and AAA just for availability reasons but l wouldn't give up my Surefires until l have to.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.