Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marital Strife and Preparedness

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Marital Strife and Preparedness

This is likely to be a difficult one.

How are you and your spouse/significant other/girlfriend/bang buddy at working out disagreements and/or working together in stressful situations?

In the midst of a SHTF event you do not want to be arguing or having interpersonal power-plays interfering with efforts to determine the best course of action and implementing them.

So how are you and your mate at resolving conflict, working in stressful situations now (in the calm, non-stressed light of day)?

Anymore I see far too many wimpy, fagged out dudes who roll over and play dead at the hands of their shrew of a woman. That's bad for a relationship anyway but can you imagine having to deal with a SHTF event with some woman constantly harping at you?

At the same time, there's a bunch of over amped dudes running around who want to pretend they are Billy-Badass in their big monster trucks and pimped out SKS's. You simply aren't going to provide the best leadership for your family if you aren't willing to listen to input, work as a team with your spouse, admit your mistakes, etc.

SHTF events are dynamic so you can't say that if ABC happens you should always do XYZ. But I can guarendamntee you that working together as a team, playing to your strengths and being a partnership will increase your odds of survival in most SHTF events.

Further, if you can't decide where to have dinner without having WWIII break out, perhaps "preparing" by working out the underlying relationship issue is going to have a higher payback than buying another 100lbs of wheat.

Thoughts?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

That is one reason why I am divorced. She did not understand the word "compromise".

I'll most likely shit myself

I divorced my shrew 30+ years ago and never looked back. My wife (for the past 27 years) and I work together very well. We have our boughts of arguing like most every married couple do, but never to the point of going at each other. We just spent the weekend picking produce from the garden and processing, canning, and freezing. We try to share the work as suits each of us the best and help out where we can with the other.
    She is very much in favor of the prepping I'm working on and I encourage her to prep for what she feels is important as well. IMO, it;s got to be a balanced act if there is a pair of people involved. Long term it won't work any other way.

you are a lucky man, bacpacker.

I'll most likely shit myself

Thanks I agree. We do have our moments, but find a way to work thru it. Still a PIA at times .

The source of all known trouble in the universe

I decided a long time ago that I cannot live with anyone. So now, this problem is solved for me.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

beatings will continue until attitude improves. J/K
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

A man without a woman is like a fish without a bicycle. I'm with RJ on this one, I'm better off alone. I have buddies I can hook up with and various others of my kids and grandkids, but the wife has too many bipolar issues. So she stays in Denver in her condo and I sennd her money for her meds. I suspect that she is treating her manic phase with "herbs". But I don't have to put up with that out here in the PRK. It's not the life I had envisioned as a young man, but it's the hand I've been dealt.

Horses are better partners anyway- they're always happy to see Carrot Guy!
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Like BP, I got lucky this time around also. The wife likes the outdoors and she is onboard with the prepping we do. She understands that some decisions have to be made by me since I have the military background whether they are right or wrong. I'm not saying she agrees all the time but if we are doing training or just talking "what would you do if this happened?" she goes on without complaining (to much)--I know we will argue at times, if anything, maybe it will just be a way to let out some stress.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Like RJ and Grumpy, I do better by myself.